Chapter One

(September 2021)

(Lucy's POV)

Our work van had the stale scent of a space that had housed too many bodies, in too tight of quarters, for far too long. I took a deep breath as Josie and Lee stepped outside, finally giving me some solitude. Not even the pungent air could disrupt the blissful silence.

No one told me when I took over as task force leader that the bulk of my solo, surveillance time would be lost. There'd been entirely too much "team togetherness" in this van lately.

The last victim's body was still warm when we found her. Both our suspect and our body were in Kingston, Ontario at the time of discovery.

Convenient.

It was frustrating as fuck that we still didn't have enough to bring him in. I shook my head at the ridiculousness of the entire situation. We had discovered that Divine Soaps a Canadian run business had been on location at the place of death for multiple murdered women.

I picked up my phone and messaged Trigg.

Me: Still sitting pretty?

Trigg: He hasn't moved from the couch.

I let out a puff of frustration. We couldn't seem to tie Curtis Hosier, our main suspect, and the co-owner of the business to any of our victims. As such, we didn't want to play our hand too soon.

We needed more evidence.

I ran a hand through my dark curly hair and swallowed the anger that he had gotten another one. We wanted him behind bars. So we waited. Watched. I wasn't letting him out of our sight.

Harness it.

Breathing deep, I set down my phone and focused on the sound of Josie and Lee making their way up to their destination.

Josie's panting came through her mic, they were about ten houses out and arguing softly as they walked. Lee had apparently also noticed her heavy breathing and was never one to be diplomatic with his friends. "Jesus Josie, it sounds like you've run a fucking marathon. What happens if we get a runner?"

I whistled through my teeth. Ballsy. She was eight months pregnant and sensitive as fuck about her changing body. I wouldn't be commenting if I was Lee.

I was surprised that our boss, Charlie had given her the all clear for this one, but I couldn't deny that her experience and expertise were always an asset.

His hiss of breath let me know that she had elbowed him, or worse and I giggled at the fire in her voice as she lashed out, "You try carrying Lincoln's gigantic baby and then we'll talk!" I snorted at her sass and felt my heart stutter when she said, "I know. I'm going to stay in the background after tonight and I'll stick to the classroom until I'm back from maternity leave. I was just struggling with everything changing and bit off more than I can chew."

I could tell from the jostling of the cameras that he had given her a side hug and gave a little smile at my two friends. I only had eyes through their cameras but could just imagine their blonde heads touching.

Relief bubbled in my chest, thank god she was ready to slow down. She might be one of the most capable officers I've ever worked with but I knew better than anyone, the criminals we dealt with were the stuff of nightmares. I wanted baby Sawyer far away from the monsters that lived in our world, that we hunted.

I turned up the volume so that I could hear their whispered conversation as they continued on. Ever the manipulator, Lee was questioning tonight's plan. "So, we are being up front? 'Straight up, we think your brother is a serial killer!' or..."