Chapter Eighteen

(Sam's POV)

Lucy had advised that I dress as casually as possible. That effort had me cursing, walking through the Lake Ridge high school doors, I blended in as well as a grown man in his thirties could. My hat shielded my eyes and my jeans hung lower than I felt was appropriate.

I gave them a tug from the back, cursing and caught Lucy's giggle at my discomfort. As we walked side by side toward the principal's office. I gave her outfit a perusal. "I can't help but notice that you got to be extra comfortable."

Her eyes twinkled as she gave me a nudge. "I never said you had to wear pants that were two sizes too big."

"Excuse you. I believe you told me to dress to fit in. It was either two sizes too big or so skinny that my Manitoba moose knuckle would be stealing the show today." I reveled in her choking laugh but it was over too soon, as we both entered into the school's office.

It turned out that the principal, Alan Jackson, was fully onboard with setting us up for interviews with his students. His feelings on the matter were immediately apparent as he met us at the door, aggressively shaking my hand and then Lucy's. "Thank you so much for being here." The light reflected off his bald head as he gestured for us to follow him into his office.

He took a seat at his chair and fidgeted with the knot in his tie. I couldn't figure out if he was naturally jumpy or if the worry was making him twitch. "Thank god someone is taking it seriously because our police are so far up their own asses..."

Lucy cleared her throat, interrupting his rant. "Did you and Wolfe get a chance to make a list?

I glanced at my Apple Watch, it was 9:45 A.M. and school had only started half an hour ago.

Was this going to be too rushed for them?

He surprised me as he pulled out a scrap of paper. "We did it first thing. Our first three names matched. I figured that I would let you get set up and then you could have my secretary call in students as you need."

We had asked them each to make a list of who Tanya was closest to. He handed me the paper and pointed at the number one slot. "Allie Sheppard is Tanya's best friend."

"You have my office for the day and I've instructed Mrs. Alexander to help you however you need." He tapped the desk twice, seeming to calm some. "I also told her that we were keeping your presence here under wraps."

I nodded. Mrs. Alexander had been the secretary when I was in school, so I knew what he was trying to tell us. I doubted we made it the full day, without news spreading around town about us being here and talking to Tanya's friends.

Lucy seemed to catch on as well. She stopped Alan as he made his way to the door. "I want to take a minute and say thank you. It takes a brave man to see something wrong happening and decide to take action against it. We appreciate you."

She took a breath and waved her hand towards me. "We haven't told the Lake Ridge Police what we are doing, but realistically, they're going to hear about it eventually. If at some point throughout the day, they get wind and end up here, do yourself a favor and play dumb."

He shook his head but she ignored it and kept going. "You tell them that you thought that we were here, working on their behalf. Don't get yourself in trouble. There's no need, my division will back us up."

She gave him an extra little smile. "Plus, then we might be able to use you again."

Thank god this isn't her first rodeo.

I wasn't surprised to notice Alan's rosy cheeks and glazed eyes as he agreed and made his way out of the room. I was positive she racked up admirers. Lucy was special and it didn't take long to see it.