Chapter Five

(Lucy's POV)

Sam: Awesome. It's a date.

4 words and I was over the moon.

After my session with Serena, I had felt a whole heck of a lot lighter. Then hearing from Sam, having him arrange a dinner for everyone... calling it a date. I couldn't seem to curb the excitement bubbling around in my chest.

I wasn't sure if it was a result of Serena's comment about me not allowing myself to catch feelings. Or, that I was emotionally wrecked right now. Most likely, it was a combination of both.

Whatever it was, I was very aware that feelings had indeed been caught and I was trying to reign myself in... with very little success.

Not a date... more like a group hang.

I knew he hadn't meant anything by it but upon arriving tonight, Lee had poured me a glass of wine... and then another.

He waited until my cheeks had a perma-flush and my smile was stuck and then fired out his questions. "So, what's going on with you and Sam?"

No matter what my head was saying, my heart was dancing to a rhythm that I hadn't felt in a long, long time, not since Trigg. Maybe not ever. "After Trigg... I learned my lesson. I don't want to date anyone that I have to spend copious amounts of time with after we break up."

Shit. I should have known. Lee was a brilliant, cheeky Fucker.

The wine, along with my current emotional imbalance apparently were working together to loosen my lips, as well as my walls.

My wide eyes met Lee's, who looked positively gleeful at this turn of events.

He ran a hand through his sun kissed mane and shot me a maniacal grin, cupping a hand to his ear. "Sorry did you just say Trigg?"

"Mmmmmmhmmmm..." I took a Goliath sip of my wine. I was well aware that conversations like this one called for fortitude of the boozy variety.

His mouth opened and closed a few times, as he obviously considered what to say. "Wait a second. Does Josie know? She does, doesn't she? That dick."

His outrage made me snort into my glass. "So, let me get this straight, you aren't upset that I didn't tell you but you would be upset if I did tell Josie?"

He stared at me for a moment and then shrugged. "When you put it like that, it sounds a little crazy."

"For the record I think you are aware that you might be a tad crazy."

I let that percolate, enjoying his sputtering. "Josie doesn't know either. Trigg and I didn't want to make things weird at work. Then we broke up and I didn't want to make it worse, by having you guys in the know."

"What happened?" All hints of teasing gone, he now looked concerned. "Do I need to throw some punches?"

"Remember when that reporter started sniffing around, wanting to do an exclusive on my dad?"

Lee's chiselled jaw, clenched. "I do."

Trigg didn't want to be tied down with a murderer or his offspring.

"I hadn't gotten around to telling Trigg yet. It didn't go over well."

Lee looked lost. "What? Why? What the fuck, Luce? What do your dad's crimes have to do with you?"

I poured us both some more wine and confessed. "I don't know but I do know that he did me a favour. It wasn't going to last. He regretted his reaction after and tried to get back together but it was too late, I didn't want to go back."