Chapter Nineteen

(Lucy's POV)

I shut the door after Allie and walked over to the table peering down at the list that Wolfe and Alan had given us. "Good move Sam. He's fifth on their list."

He responded as he made his way over to me. "I think we should call him next. It feels like the Tanya that they knew was the Tanya before she was betrayed." Our eyes met and he flushed, scratching at his neck, obviously uncomfortable with oversharing. "I know what it's like to pull back from everyone around you in the embarrassment of heartbreak."

Fuck. I like this man.

Wanting to give whatever comfort I could, I wrapped my arms around him. I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing but knew that we both needed it. "I'm sorry that you've gone through that kind of heartbreak. I know what it feels like too." His arms tightened and we stood there for a moment, his chin resting on the top of my head.

I felt his lips touch the top of my hair and then my forehead as he gave one more squeeze. "I know this isn't the time, but I really god damned like you Lucy Baylor."

My feet felt frozen to the floor as he walked over to the door and opened "Would it be possible to call Stephen Anderson up to talk to us?"

Blinking dumbly, I refocused on the task at hand. The secretary said something in response but I couldn't quite make it out and then he walked back in and threw me a wink, like his confession hadn't just made my heart pound and my palms sweaty.

I sat down in front of my computer and typed up the notes from our interview. I had recorded it and would listen to the whole thing later but I liked to write down the things that stuck out. "She said that he also understood heartbreak. Let's start there."

Sam nodded as Mrs. Alexander led in a tall, thin teen with a scowl on his face. She walked stiffly and as he sat down, he making a point of ignoring her. The look she threw him as she walked out was scathing.

Sam followed her progress and when the door was left open, sighed and got up to close it. I noticed the stiffness in Stephen's shoulders lessened as soon as she was gone. "Stephen? I'm Lucy and this is Sam. We're police officers and we're hoping that you could answer a couple questions about Tanya."

He didn't say anything for a full minute just took us in but his scowl lessened and his voice was gruff when he finally talked. "You're not cops from around here."

"No. I work out of Toronto but am a specialist who flies all around Canada to help out on various cases."

He looked intrigued and opened his mouth but then winced, closed it and asked. "How can I help you?"

It was Sam that spoke up, I had noticed that he often let me lead the conversations. From the last time we worked together, I knew it was a natural skill of his, working with a partner, playing off their strengths. Not that long ago, he had helped us put a killer behind bars. He was a damn good cop. "Why don't you like Mrs. Alexander?"

Stephen's eyes widened, like he was surprised to be asked his opinion. "I don't see how that's going to help you out."

Sam shrugged, "Humour me. I'm curious."

Then he sat quietly and waited him out. Stephen gave a little smile and I could tell that he liked Sam's honesty. "I don't meet her moral standards so she treats me like shit. Anyone like me gets her royal treatment too."

"Like you how?" Sam growled and I noticed a deep red on his cheeks.

Interesting. When he was embarrassed his whole face flushed but anger tended to bring out two scarlet marks, highlighting his freckles. I filed away that little tidbit for later.