45. Affairs

''Praise the Mother!'' The baby's cries rang out.

"Ahh." They placed the boy in Rhaenyra's arms, she smiled down at him, another boy. "Healthy?"

" Kicking like a goat, Princess." They assured. Rhaenyra had but a fraction of a moment before the door opened

"Princess... the Queen has requested that the child be brought to her... immediately." Elinda one of Alicent's handmaidens informed her.

''Why?'' Rhaenyra said with a groan. Elinda just stared back at her holding out her hands for the babe. ''I'll take him myself.'' Rhaenyra said stubbornly.

''You should remain abed, Princess...''

''Yes, I should!'' Rhaenyra spat. ''Help me dress.'' She struggled she felt the blood dripping between her legs. ''Ooh... Mmm...'' Rhaenyra froze her face pinched her lip quivered

'Princess... your dress?''

''Mmm." Rhaenyra tried to hush her crying babe as she the pain erupting in her stomach.

''Princess? Oh, it's coming. The afterbirth!'' Rhaenyra doubled over groaning. She took a deep steading breath as she righted herself and walked on shaky legs to get to the opposite end of the castle.

''A boy. I've just heard.' Laenor said happily

''Yes.'' Rhaenyra said through pained breaths.

''Well done. Where are you going?''

''She wants to see him.'' Rhaenyra hissed

''Now? I'm coming with you.''

''I should hope so.'' Rhaenyra countered

''Let me take him.'' Laenor offered

''No, she'll get no such satisfaction from me."

+

"Its hard to explain." Blyana declared as they sat in the gardens.  

"They have a complicated relationship

"They have a complicated relationship." Larys agreed. She leaned into him. "I have a complicated relationship with my family." Larys assured. 

"I know and I hate that... but... well I wonder if my father was here if things would be different and Harwin wouldnt... if he would have been reprimanded sooner but since... no I'm sorry thats rude to think your father is showing him favoritism." Blyana offered. 

"Oh he is." Larys agreed kissing her cheek. "Anyone else would be dead by now, three bastards-"

"We dont know that this one-"

"We do though." Larys corrected softly. 

"Yeah... and Alicent wanted to see the babe, is that so bad? Legally the babe is her grandson and... I know its stupid... its a hard relationship the two of them have." 

"Thats an understatement." larys agreed. 

"MAMA!" Lucia declared smiling up at her.  She had just turned to two and was running around, getting used to her legs at full speed, always barreling into them. Larys scooped her up. "DADA!" Lucia declared snuggling into him. 

"Hey cutie, were you playing with your brothers?" Larys pondered. 

"Yeah!" Lucia agreed. 

"You want a baby sister?" Larys mused. 

"Yeah!" That was Lucia's word recently, yeah to everything. sometimes it was yes and she dragged out the s like a snake.

"Should I be putting a baby in mama's belly right now and forget other responsibilities?" Larys went on. 

"Yeah!" 

"She doesnt know what she is agreeing to." Blyana laughed out. 

"From the mouths of babes, babe." Larys corrected. "And Lucia has spoken."

"YEAH!"

''This is absurd.''

''Mm...'' Rhaenyra agreed as they approached, Ser Criston was at the door.

''Princess.'' Criston remarked opening the door for them.

''Rhaenyra! You should be resting after your labors.'' Alicent declared.

''I have no doubt that you would prefer that, Your Grace.'' Rhaenyra seethed

''You must sit. Talya, fetch a cushion for the Princess.'' Alicent instructed and a cushion was placed on the couch for her.

''There's no need.''

''Nonsense. We'll finish this later.'' Alicent assured offering Rhaenyra her fakest of smiles. Another bastard, he would need a girls night tonight with Blyana after this to gossip about Rhaenyra and Harwin. 

''Your Grace.'' Talya said nodding to the queen as she left. Rhaenyra sat with a groan.

''What happy news this morning.'' Viserys declared. Blyana didnt like Viserys. He had never bonded with the children, it was Rhaenyra and only Rhaenyra to him. She was the precious child, the golden one, the heir, she was to be protected, all the scandals silenced. Why marry Alicent if he was going to treat her like a baby maker and nothing else? Why ignore the spares in the eyes of the crown, why ignore his children, his sons and daughter if he still only cared about Rhaenyra? Blyana didnt understand and she certainly didnt respect the king after the hell he put Alicent through. 

'Indeed, Your Grace.'' Laenor remarked.

''Where is he? Where is my grandson? There. There he is. Oh.'' Viserys took him from Rhaenyra and held him up. ''A fine Prince. Sturdy. You will make a fearsome knight.'' Viserys told her and Rhaenyra couldn't help but smile. ''Yes, you will.'' He added softly to the babe.

''Does the babe have a name yet?'' Alicent questioned.

''We haven't spoken...'' Rhaenyra began as Laenor spoke up.

''Joffrey. He'll be called Joffrey.'' Laenor told them proudly.

''That's an unusual name for a Velaryon.'' Alicent remarked.

''I do believe he has his father's nose.'' Viserys offered with a chuckle. Alicent looked at the little black hairs on Joffrey's head. ''Don't you?'' Viserys offered.

"His Father... yes..." Alicent agreed. Laenor cleared his throat looking to Joffrey. 

''If you don't mind, Your Grace, your daughter has exerted herself heroically and should rest.'' Laenor offered

''Of course. There.'' Viserys passed Joffrey back off to Rhaenyra ''Well done, my girl.'' Viserys kissed her cheek ''I do hope the labor was easy.''

''I think I called the midwife a cunt.'' Rhaenyra remarked.

''Oh. Do keep trying, Ser Laenor'' Alicent whispered. ''Sooner or later, you may get one who looks like you.'' She offered.

''You don't... think to consult me before you name my child?'' Rhaenyra hissed as they left. Criston watched them leave. 

''He's our child, is he not?'' Laenor offered. He knew the rumors of course he did, he knew what was surely facts but he pushed them away just like the king did. 

''Only one of us is bleeding.'' Rhaenyra reminded him, a trail of blood bleed from her legs as she walked the afterbirth still releasing.

''I deserve some say in the affairs of my own family.'' Laenor reminded her.

''You haven't seemed so interested in our affairs of late.''