Chapter 27: Im Haewon

Kim Seokjin's POV

It's the 5th day of her funeral. It still feels like a portion of my heart was hollow, but the thorns around it have diminished. I had no tears left to cry, I think, but the pain is bearable and I have come to peace with myself and fate. None of what has happened between me and my mother is merely just because of our choices. It's not just because of me did we have less time to be together. Life made us that way.

Life is unfair. It's not all the time that our destiny is within our hands. If it's the time for it, then it is.

Tomorrow will be her interment. Jisoo, her father, and I have come to an agreement to have her cremated. The cremation will be done the next morning and then will be done the interment in the columbarium of our choice as well. If I was to decide on my own, I would have placed her beside my father's ashes. However, she has her own family ㅡ the family that she found happiness in. Although our rights of hers are fair, I've decided it would be best to have them have the greater decision in this aspect. After all, I believe she wouldn't want to be beside the person that had caused her pain and suffering in her life.

Since it's the last night, there are more people in the house to visit her for the last time. We have also decided that the interment will be an intimate one. Only our close relatives will be there.

I had been using my phone while sitting in front of her wake. Boram, as always, is sitting beside me. She was holding my hand. However, I averted my eye from my phone to see her after the hold of her hand tightened on mine.

She was staring at the door, and I followed to find my grandmother and grandfather entering our living room. As they crossed paths with people, respect and politeness to them were shown by people.

Boram met my eyes with her uneasy pair. She was troubled and I knew why.

"Relax, Love. Maybe she'll be silent this time. I think she won't want to cause a scene today." My words made her calm slightly, but she instead fidgeted with my hand.

"I justㅡ I don't want to make things complicated. Maybe I should just go to our room to avoid a scene? It would really be too embarrassing to all the people here."

I shook my head. "Hey. No. If a scene will be made, it's on her. You're in no way at fault. And besides, I'm here. Tae and Jennie are here too. We're here for you even if it's our grandma because we know what's right and not."

She sighed. "I hope she won't. I don't want to embarrass myself to my family too."

I pressed my lips over the back of her palm which caused a timid smile on her lips.

My grandparents approached us. We arose and then bowed to greet them. My grandpa was glad to see us and was very polite and delighted over Boram, but my grandma was contrary. She gave Boram a glare and a raise of her brow which made my woman look at me.

"We apologize for coming late. Condolences, my son," my grandpa said with a pat on my shoulder.

"No worries. Have you eaten?" I asked. Boram on the other hand offered them a seat by pulling on two monoblock chairs nearby.

"Yes, we have. No need to worry much about us. How are you?" My grandpa gestured for me to have a seat as he did.

"I'm coping well. Love, could you please give them something to drink?"

She nodded and looked over at my grandparents. "Is there anything you want?" She asked politely.

"Water will be fine, dear." My grandpa smiled. Then I heard my grandma whisper, yet it was too inaudible to comprehend.

Boram went to the kitchen to get the water herself. However, my grandma excused herself and followed through her path. I knew something was already going to happen, so I beckoned Jennie, sitting a few rows behind us and talking to some people. She stood up, went to us, and then greeted our grandpa.