Kabanata 10

Kabanata 10

"I'm so worried about you." Mom wouldn't stop on the phone, asking how I was feeling.

"I'm good, Mom. I assure you. Please, don't worry too much."

Dinig ko ang pagbuntong hininga niya mula sa kabilang linya. Lagi niyang sinasabi sa akin na mag-iingat ako rito kaya halos hindi ito mapakali nang malaman niya ang nangyari.

"Dapat lang talaga na makulong ang gumawa sa'yo niyan. I honestly don't know what I would do if something bad happened to you."

"He's in jail already, Mom. Don't think too much. It's not good for you."

I kept trying to calm her down. This is what I was saying. I was more worried about her condition than my own situation. Stress and excessive worry aren't good for her.

"I'll make sure whoever did that to you can't get out of jail," she said. "Why don't you just move to another village? I've offered you a condo several times, even a car, but you keep refusing. Diego, please..."

"Mom, I'm comfortable in my apartment. And about the car, I'm saving up for it."

"You don't have to save up. What's the point of all the hard work your dad and I put in?"

I sighed. "Okay, Mom. If this semester ends and I still haven't bought a car, I'll let you know."

She just shook her head, which is her usual response in these situations. When it comes to these things, she never wins against me.

"How are you feeling now?"

"I'm fine, Mom. The doctor said, I can go home tomorrow morning."

"Who's taking care of you there?"

Aloha wasn't there dahil maaga siyang pumasok sa school, tanghali pa ang labas niya. Nagising na lamang ako na nakahanda na ang pagkain sa table at may iniwan siyang note roon, nakasulat doon na didiretso siya agad dito kapag natapos nang mas maaga ang exam niya.

I can't help but smile, knowing someone was looking after me. Except for my parents, I had never felt this way before. I know I'm a reserved person and I try not to ask for help from others as much as I can. But this time, I realized it's okay to be vulnerable with someone once in a while. Someone you feel secure and at ease with.

"May mga nurse naman po na pumupunta rito upang i-check ako, Mom. Besides, nakakakilos naman na po ako nang maayos."

I felt her breathe a sigh of relief. Aloha really seems to know how to take care of people. Aloha, who is fierce and loud, but has a soft side. I chuckled to myself at that thought.

"Mom, I want to ask something."

"Okay, what is it?"

"How do you know when you like someone?"

There was a pause on the line. Then I heard her laugh.

"Okay, just forget it, Mom," I quickly retracted. Why was I asking about this? Tsk.

"Is it because of a girl named Aloha?" she asked.

"What?"

She laughed. "Come on, Son. Tell me, do you like her?"

"Mom!"

She laughed again. "Well, for you to know the answer, ask yourself first, how do you feel about that person? Is it something different from others? Like, do you feel a different connection with them or feel safe when they're around?"

I nodded. I had been plagued by this feeling for a while now. It was all new to me. I've had crushes before, but they never lasted or went beyond that. I never even tried to date because I didn't have time for that.