Kabanata 25

Kabanata 25

The ceremony has begun. I looked around and saw familiar faces. This place holds a lot of memories that I will never forget. It shaped me, and I'm grateful that in my last minutes in high school, it served as a means of meeting the girl who made me experience unforgettable memories in my high school life. I didn't ask for it, or expect it to come to me.

I heard voices when my name was called as the highest honor in this batch to take the stage for my speech. As usual, I begin by expressing my gratitude to my parents, teachers, and of course... everyone who played a role in my journey. Hindi ko talaga inexpect na makukuha ko pa ito after all, pero ito at ibinigay pa rin sa akin.

I can still clearly recall my experiences leading up to this much-anticipated celebration, and that's a really lengthy tale. I know I put a lot of effort into it even though there were difficult times, but because of my goal at dahil sa pangarap namin ng pamilya ko ay natutunan kong mahalin ang ginagawa ko.

Now that I'm about to hit college life, I know I can take everything I learned in high school with me when I get to the next level of my life. With the support of my loving Mom, the people who believe in me... and Aloha. I will get that degree and my dream.

"Congrats, Diego!" panay bati ng mga teachers at classmates ko. Maging ang mga batchmates ko, bumati rin.

The entire ceremony, Mom was on FaceTime, from the time I was called to the stage until the end of my speech.... she's very proud.

"Congratulations, Son! I can't wait for us to celebrate here!" Mom said happily.

"Thank you, Mom!"

"Oh, naayos mo na ba ang mga gamit mo?" excited na tanong niya.

"Yes, Mom, kagabi pa po ako nag-impake,"

"Okay, good. I've made a reservation at my favorite restaurant here, I'm sure you'll like their food,"

"Mom, surely no one can beat Digo's." I joked.

"Of course!" she said. "Digo's is the top of the top,"

"Yup! And I think I'd rather eat what you cooked. You know, after a long time, ngayon nalang ulit ako makakatikim ng luto mo."

She laughed in the air. "You know I'm not good at cooking anymore. I can only get out of my wheelchair when I go to sleep."

I pouted and smiled genuinely at her. "Then I'll cook for you," I said. Mom taught me how to cook and her special dishes. And I can testify, she's the best cook!

"Alright, Chef. Diego," napapairap na sabi niya. "Basta magc-celebrate tayo pagdating mo rito,"

I smiled. "Yes, Mom, can't wait."

When our conversation ended, my eyes immediately searched for Aloha, I saw her looking around.

"Hey!" I called her.

Hinanap niya ang boses ko at nang magtagpo ang paningin namin ay ngumiti ito nang malaki at tumakbo palapit sa akin.

"Congrats!" she said when she got close to me and hugged me. "I'm so proud you, you deserve it," she let go of the hug and pointed to the medals.

"Thanks," I replied. "Bukas, ikaw naman..."

"Yup! Pero di naman ako highest honor gaya mo," she shrugged. "But atleast, gagraguate... thanks tutor!"

I laughed. "Malay mo naman. Saka nakabawi ka naman,"

"Oo nga, pero di naman ako nage-expect... okay na sa'kin ang maka-graduate. Ayaw ko gumawa ng speech, baka kung anu-ano lang masabi ko dun,"