23. Can We Talk?

Fifteen minutes earlier,

"Get out, you're not allowed in here," Niki grumbled before he winced in pain when Aeri cleaned his forehead cut.

"I won't. I'm done with you pushing me away and I'm done with your father treating you like shit." Aeri didn't move an inch, her voice was harsh yet her touch was gentle on his face.

It was her first time remaining with Niki for that long since he never really accepted her to be part of the family. But, to Aeri, Niki was family when she decided to marry that man. Even if there was no blood bond between them, she was ready to take the responsibility and treat him as he deserved.

And since things accumulated to a no-turning point, they both knew that they had to do something. A thing to end the hell they were both going through.

Niki's voice grew quieter as he looked down, his fingers twitching slightly on his lap. "Aeri...he's good to you so stay out of my business...you gain nothing from siding with me."

"Riki...it's not a matter of what Kenji is to me...you're a child. A child who is mistreated and abused. And who in their mind-" Her voice trailed off, tears streaming down her face for a moment before she caught a breath. "...Who in their mind would stay silent about this?"

Even though Aeri's words were clear, the surprise on Niki's face was yet undeniable. He didn't think of it as a mistreatment...as an abuse. It was just how things were ever since his mother died.

He looked at her, eyes slightly wide before his hand reached her shoulder with a slight tremble. "Aeri...please help me..." He urged quietly, feeling his tears at bay as well.

"Don't worry...I have a plan...I'll help you out Riki...just lean on me." She pulled him closer and buried his face on her shoulder, savoring this vulnerable moment for both of them as a final chapter to their suffering.

・❥・・❥・・❥・

"Can we talk?" Aeri said in a clear tone as she approached the two, her gaze landing on Yeoreum who pulled back from Niki to look at her in confusion.

"Who...are you-"

"I'm Jung Aeri, Riki's stepmother. I'm here because Riki told me you were the only one he could trust for the moment." Aeri spoke again as Niki nodded in agreement, both falling into silence as they gave room for Yeoreum to ask her questions or speak.

"I...I'm his friend, that's true...but...is...is something wrong? What's happening?" Yeoreum mumbled with a hint of worry as she looked back and forth between Niki and Aeri who remained calm, expecting her reaction.

"Let's have a proper seat first, shall we?" The older woman said with a smile as she guided the two towards a nearby cafe to inform Yeoreum about the situation.

The cafe was lively, with lots of stories lived by people around them, but Yeoreum couldn't feel all that enthusiasm surrounding her. Her knees were rocking up and down as she tangled her fingers together, waiting for Aeri to finish ordering for both of them before she finally got to the bottom of it. Luckily, Niki had stumbled upon friends from his school, so he was outside chatting with them. The last thing she wanted was to see Niki cry again, not when she was cursing herself not to burst into tears at the moment.