20: The Queen and Her Pawns

"Great Odysseus melted into tears,running down from his eyes to wet his cheeks...as a woman weeps, her arms flung round her darling husband,a man who fell in battle, fighting for town and townsmen."- The Odyssey, Homer.

"- The Odyssey, Homer

Kairos' POV:

The whistle of the train resonated through the raven, rusty station as it whirred through the white snow.

The little girl with the blazing red hair is still here. She has been here for the past three days, same worn out grey sweater and cheeks covered in mud.

Cold eyes. Trembling lips. A small body curled in the foetal position. So vulnerable, yet she glares at anyone who dares to stare at her for a second too long. Her against the world Gods.

My hands work as I tie the newspapers on the backseat, staring at her from afar. Has she been here like this? Without food or water?

She looks to be of my age. I know I wouldn't be able to sit there like that, for three fucking days.

Her hair sways gently along with the breeze, as if a swerving flame of a candle. It is a stark contrast to her dark clothes and the white snow that surrounds her.

Should I.... ask her where her parents are?

Even though I have never known mine, I am sure she has one. Most kids our age do.

The wheels creak as I slowly approach her. A particularly strong breeze gushes past, she curls up even more. I notice that her clothes are thin, her cheeks are reddened to an alarming shade and her feet have started to turn blue.

"Go away," She grumbles without so much as a glance.

"You will die here."

"None of your business."

A sigh escapes me. Why must girls be so difficult?

My eyes fall on the small locket clenched tightly in her small fingers. "You were abandoned," I murmur in realisation.