22: The Scarlet Sin

"Though far away, I will chase you with murky brands and, when chill death has severed soul and body, everywhere my shade shall haunt you

"Though far away, I will chase you with murky brands and, when chill death has severed soul and body, everywhere my shade shall haunt you."

― Virgil, Aeneid

Lunaire's POV:

The confession lingers heavily in the silence, viscous enough to be cut by a knife. His eyes shine as bright as a green field on a sunny day, veiled by melancholy and gloom. They look a bit crazed, a bit unfocused.

I touch his cheek, running my thumb over his jaw. He looks like a little boy, lost in the sea of the unknown.

"Let yourself bleed," I whisper, softly caressing his cheek, "Maybe it will salvage you."

Something changes in his eyes. He sits in front of me as if he is my sinner, my hands in his, our breaths coming in short pants.

"We were kids when we were taken," He starts, "I remember it being the day before Christmas when she was brought in."

I caress the back of his hand, watching him carefully.

"She was only seven. When she was brought in, her dress was soiled with blood and her cheeks red from the stinging cold. She had injuries in several places. The cellar was cold and dark, I could barely see a girl sobbing at the corner. She didn't notice me. At least, that's what I thought."

A small smile lights up his lips, "I thought she was also brought in for the same reason I was, her family got bad blood with the DuPonts and she was taken in for ransom. I never knew..."

The potent agony in his eyes makes it progressively more difficult to breathe. He looks away, his hands turning colder, "I never knew.... She was brought in as a ... product."

"The first thing she asked me was "Are you my knight?"" He inhales shakily, "She thought I would be the one to save her. I would be the one to free her from that cruel fate that awaited her," He runs a hand through his face.

"I barely paid her any attention as I was there on a mission. I wanted to collect evidence against the DuPonts so that the Bratva could use it for their gain. DuPonts.... were notorious for their sales of children. These children were sold to powerful people-"