In The Land Where We Fall (01)

Fall of 2000
Two months ago
Perth, Australia

"You are not Angel Smith are you?" The handsome gentleman in front of her asked.

She just arrived in town to meet with her first "project" as what Robert liked to call him.

"Ahm— yeah.. I'm Azalea Santiago. You are Agustus Wayne?" She replied and smiled timidly.

"Uhuh.. just call me Aga."

"Call me Lea then. Ahm. I understand it was Angel who was supposed to be here but she changed her mind and our boss sent me here instead." She answered, trying to hide her disgust with the man.

Who in their right mind would buy a bride?

"Right. That's fine and just so we are clear, I didn't buy a bride so I can have a sex slave Lea. I just need a wife for business purposes." He answered as if reading what's on her mind.

She just shrugged and they walked towards his car where a driver is waiting for them.

Lea swallowed her own saliva. It was no denying that this man is filthy rich.

Too bad he was easy to fool.

"And what exactly is the role of a wife for you Aga?" She ask while they are on the road.

"You see Lea, in business— a lot of wise businessmen only trust businessmen who are married and have a family because they have a lot to lose." Aga answered meaningfully and she understood.

This man have a lot of enemies, he is rich but she knew where those riches came from.

This man is just one inch away to become a mafia boss.

"Sweet. So I get that you needed a child as well?" She asked, trying to hide her sarcasm.

She really doesn't want to be here anyway, but she had no choice.

"Yes. So before I marry you, you will need to undergo tests to see if you are able to bear a child for me and if not, sorry but I'll have to order for a new bride." He answered arrogantly and took a lot from Lea not to snap at the guy.

How dare this man treat women like they are some goods?

Well aren't you one, Lea? Her subconscious mind mocked her.

"I have no choice." She justified herself against her own.

"I have all my papers with me Mr. Wayne. My boss wouldn't send me here if I didn't pass the screening but if it will make you feel better we can do it your way." She answered behind her gritted teeth, trying her best not to lashed out to this arrogant man.

The guy smirked.

"It's fine. I believe you." He answered and her eyebrow almost went up her forehead.

It was so damn easy!

"Just like that?" She whispered.

"Yes. Just like that. I may believe you now but once I found out that you are lying, there will be consequences Lea." The man answered in a tone that made her skin crawl.

"I may be a lot of things Aga, but lying isn't one of them." She said in a casual tone.

The lying part is always the easiest part, she thought.

The rest of the ride is quiet. Lea chose to do some sight seeing, she was amazed by the place.

She didn't realized that she have fallen asleep and was just jolted awake when the car was halted to a stop.