Chapter 3: There is one that I could follow

Chapter three: There is one that I could follow

Before I knew it I heard a soft nickering below me. I opened my eyes to see the sun had yet to rise. Evenstar, my stallion stood below me. "All right I'm up," I said yawning and starting to work my way down. "Have they left yet?" I asked. My horse shook his head causing his mostly white long mane to fly in the wind. His tail too was mostly white while his body was jet black, except for his socks which were white.

I landed on the ground next to my horse when a voice came from behind me. "Here's some breakfast." The voice belonged to Kili. He handed me a plate of bacon and eggs. I smiled at the dark-haired archer. He had no beard but stubble. His dark hair fell to his shoulders, his eyes matched his hair. His clothing consisted of wool and worn leather. He was about a little over four-foot-tall meaning he came up to my ribs.

"Thank you Kili," I said taking it from him and immediately eating the bacon.

"I thought elves didn't eat meat," he stated watching me eat quickly.

"Most of us don't, but I grew up in the wilds of this world alone. You eat what's available to you and when you're hungry you'll eat just about anything," I answered moving on to the eggs.

"I'm sorry," Kili said. My hand froze on its way to my mouth, I looked at him confused.

"For what Kili?' I asked.

"Gandalf told us your story last night and I'm sorry for everything you've been through and lost." I wondered how much Gandalf had told them. I didn't mind if they knew I had lost my family or my home. I just didn't want them to know who my real father was. I squeezed Kili's shoulder with my free hand.

"Thank you Kili," I said. I then headed back to the kitchen to wash my plate. After I had put my dishes away I went back to my horse and swung onto his back.

"Where's your tack?" Thorin asked as he came down the front steps.

"Don't need it; I have never used any tack in my life. No saddle, no bridle," I replied. Soon after we were off. We walked, well our horses and ponies walked and we rode for most of the morning with the dwarves grumbling. I only half paid attention as I was looking at the green hills and beautiful trees around me. I would have to come live in these woods some time. The green grass was the greenest I had ever seen and the softest I had ever felt underfoot. The trees seemed to glow in the low light of the dawn. The rolling hills had a softness to them that I had not seen in other hills. The paths were well worn suggesting that hobbits liked peaceful walks through the countryside.

"I said it. Didn't I say it? Coming here was a waste of time," a dwarf ahead of me said.

"That's true enough."

"Ridiculous notion. Use a hobbit? A Halfling!"

"Whose idea was it anyway?" By now it was late morning and we had left at dawn. I had had quite enough of this.

After several hours of this whining, I asked, "Do you want to put your money where your mouth is? I bet 10 gold coins that Bilbo will show up." I, of course, had no money, but being an elf that was somewhat related to Lord Elrond I did have the gift of foresight. My gift was nothing compared to his, I only got glimpses. Nonetheless, I knew the hobbit would turn up.

"I'll take that bet," Dwalin said.

"Aye I bet he shows," Bofur said. Gandalf and a few others took the bet that he would show, though most of them doubted it. It wasn't ten minutes later that I heard a voice calling out. I halted my horse and turned him around to face the voice.

"Wait! Wait!" Several of the dwarves said the command to their ponies to make them stop and turned to face the hobbit. Bilbo walked up to Balin, "I signed it, here." He passed the contract to Balin who looked at his signature with a magnifying glass.