The aftermath

I'm back from a retreat! :D Happy fun time in another city in a beautiful house full of strangers. YAY! Okay, serious time.

ON WITH THE CHAPTER

Mike's P.O.V.

As one of the ambulances rolled away, I looked down at my twiddling thumbs. "HEY, HEY YOU THERE!" A voice yelled, I looked up to see an ambulance medic running towards me. He had something white and flowy in his hands. He ran into front of me, out of breath. I didn't feel like talking, until I noticed what it was. He stretched it out in front of my face. "Do you know what this is?" Of course I did, that was the same bloodied gauze that Verity.. no, Hope always had over her forearms and knuckles. I snatched it and kept it close to my chest, holding one of the few things she treasured. The medic gave me an odd look, raising one eyebrow. "So I take it you do know what this is? And it's significance?" I looked at him with my probably red and splotchy eyes. In a croaky voice, "She always wore this over her arms and knuckles. I never knew why." He looked sorry for me, "Do you want to know what was happening with this girl?" I thought about it, a small voice, very persistantly told me not to, that Hope's secrets were her own. The voice of curiosity stepped in, we should know everything about her right? What kind of person were we living with? The other voice told me it was too late, and if Hope wanted you to know she would've told you, and not have hidden it. I decided to listen. "No, her secrets were her own." I growled at the concerned medic. He looked like he was going to protest, but the radio strapped to his blue work suit shot out an order in it's staticky voice. He ran back to the ambulance, and I dropped my head in exhaustion. I clutched the gauze, so strong, but actually so fragile. Heh, that was a good analogy for Hope. Out of the corner of my eye, Jeremy exited the building with a police officer and walked over to me, still wearing that fuzzy green sweater we all loved. His head was down, his hands clutching the opposite elbows and his arms against his sides. Without a word he sat down beside me. Instinctively I put an arm around the shivering boy and he put his head against my chest. We sat like for about 5 minutes, watching the commotion around us. Turns out the "Purple guy" or as we knew him, Vincent, actually killed 6 kids.. now 7. He poisoned a piece of food and gave it to a kid, and the 5 kids in '87, apparently he was also responsible for the bite.. He has single-handedly managed to ruin so many lives. Not to mention Hope. I sighed and rubbed Jeremy's arm. He kept his eyes forward. Probably trying not to cry. "Cameras caught the whole thing. We aren't suspects." He spoke in a monotone. I haven't even thought about it, but I was glad. "Good." My deep voice rumbled out. If we aren't needed then we should head home. I got up slowly still holding Jeremy by his opposite arm with my arm around his back. I notified a policeman that we were leaving and he nodded. The drive home was silent, the crack in the window from Hope frustrated that the car wouldn't go faster was unmentioned. I opened the door with the keys, remembering when she stole them as a joke. We walked past the kitchen, the ghost of her in the fuzzy green blanket and drinking the rootbeer float presented themselves in my mind. The window in the living room was still broken. This house seems like it's full of ghosts now. I made my way to the bedroom, remembering when we found her, broken and destroyed. I shook off the thought and made my way to the bed, pulling off my shirt and pants and climbing under the covers. I felt Jeremy climb in on the other side, I think it would be dangerous to sleep alone after a day like this.

~~~~Dream land~~~~ (still Mikey's P.O.V.)

We entered the pizzeria, Hope and I, she was dragging me to the back, then she picked up the speed and busted open the door, which still impressed me. I was still blindly stumbling along, aware... but unaware of what was happening. Wait.. I- I could still save her! I ran in after her to see her tackle Purple guy, and I got Jeremy out, but instead of reviving him outside, I left him on the floor and ran to grab the gun, but it misfired as Hope sunk the knife into his chest, travelling along the floor and.... hitting Jeremy in the chest. "NO!" I yelled, running over with Hope, why was this happening? Why do I have to live through all these deaths? The death replayed almost exactly, except Hope told Jeremy to call her by her name and hugged him as brother-sister. Then a voice that I recognized as Hope's cut through the dream, do you now understand that death was impossible to outrun? You and Jeremy are important to eachother and have amazing futures. There was no way to fix this, but don't beat yourself up over it. I love you both... and thank you for not checking the gauze Mike. Hope... my eyes watered "WAIT!" I called out, Mike? Her voice came back, in an irritated tone, I smiled slightly, the Hope I knew was here. "What do you want us to do with you? How do we move forward?" I begged to know. I swear to God if you give me a funeral with a ton of people I don't even know I will punch you. I chuckled a little. Please, cremate me and scatter my ashes in the tree house.... and down BB's thoat. I smiled, "I promise Verit- Hope." As for the rest.... you won't be able to get over it right away but give it time. Spend time with Jeremy. Get a dog or something. You guys cannot just do nothing and wallow in grief. I forbid it. I was still in the pizzeria, but everything was frozen, and there was a shape forming. Hope. She came over and hugged me, and I hugged back as tight as possible, savouring the scent of brown sugar and vanilla because I knew it would be gone soon. (I thought I deleted the chapter here accidentally so I was freaking out but it's all good.. that was scarier than any horror story.) Listen, you guys need to be here for eachother. And I can- and will be watching over you guys. So don't even try to mess up your lives. You will get a ghost slap. She paused, looking confused. If that works. I will have to check. I have to go to Jeremy now, goodbye Michael. She faded away and everything played again, and I saw Jeremy's lips turn blue. He was dead here, and to be honest, I would be devastated if he died. I love Jeremy, and I refuse to lose him.

This chapter was so depressing. My mom made apple pie so I will munch on some now. OH AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 2K WHAT A MILESTONE FOR ME :0 I love you all!!!!!!!