Surreal - Chapter 21

Robert’s POV:

Inside the box there was a pepperoni pizza, but the pepperoni was the shape of a heart. And on top of the box in Sharpie I wrote, ‘Will you go out with me?’. Once Ross opens this things will change in either a good way or bad way. Am I really ready for that, am I willing to risk our friendship? 

These are the thoughts that went through my head as Ross put his hands on the box, getting ready to open it. It feels like he’s opening it so slow, it's killing me. Once he finally opened the pizza box all the way his face immediately flushed red. He looked up at me with a flustered and shook expression. Is that a good or bad reaction? I can’t tell.

But either way, I’m going to tell him how I feel. I give him a small smile and look down before grasping both his hands with each of mine, palm to palm. I gave them a little squeeze.

“Ross, I really, really like you,” I start, my face now also burning with blush. I looked back up so I could look him in the eyes while I tell him this. “Whenever I’m around you I say the most random things and I get so awkward, you’ve probably noticed. Everything about you I love. Your calm but adventurous attitude, your unique personality, your hair even though you're so insecure about it, your mesmerizing eyes that I get lost into every now and then, your fashion sense, your out of pocket jokes and so much more. You're so caring and kind and you’ve been there for me since the very start. I couldn’t help but fall for you. But I know we have a really good friendship, and if you don’t like me back that’s okay,"

There's more I wanted to say but I didn't want to overwhelm him. I think I got my point across anyways. "So anyways, will you go out with me?”

Ross looked like he was holding in a smile. His face was crimson red and his eyes were glistening. The suspense to hear an answer from him is agonizing. I know I said I was almost completely sure about this but I still can't truly be sure. Who knows what can be going through his head right now, he's famous for overthinking. I can only be patient and wait.

Ross' POV:

 I can't believe this is actually happening right now. He has feelings for me, we like each other, this can't be real! I have to be dreaming, this feels so surreal. Words can't describe how happy I am at this moment. What should I say? Should I just say yes? Should I explain my feelings for him like he did?

The smile I was holding slowly crept onto my face. I gave his hands a gentle squeeze back and looked at him with loving eyes. 

"You have no idea how happy I am right now," I say, changing my grasp on Robert's hands to a finger lock in between us. 

He immediately smiled, now knowing my answer. He looked back at me with the same loving eyes I gave him, waiting for me to actually confirm and say my answer. 

"Yes Robert, I'll go out with you!" I finally answer, smiling wider than before.

Robert giddily laughs with a huge smile and pulls me into a tight hug while shaking me a bit. I hug him back with the same strength. 

"I love you so much Ross!" he beams out, backing away to look me in the eyes once again.

"I love you too!" I happily say back, also looking him in the eyes.

We continued to look at each other in bliss, knowing what's to come but not who would make the first move. Until finally Robert put his hand on my neck, just like he did yesterday, and asks the question I thought I'd never hear:

"Can I kiss you?" he asks with a gentle low tone, leaning in close to me and rubbing his thumb against my neck.

I didn't even answer. I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned up into him, closing the gap between us and crashing our lips together for a whimsy first kiss. Robert smiled and quickly eased into it. It was both of our first kiss' so we're both not the best at it, but in this moment right now it's everything we could've ever wanted and needed. The warmth of his hand on my neck and lips on mine felt so nice, it almost felt surreal. The scenery of where we're doing this makes it feel even more surreal, on a hill surrounded by snow-covered grass, and under the beautiful view of the winter stars in the sky. We both kept passionately crashing our lips together and we eventually got the hang of it before finally pulling apart.