Chapter 9

(Zayde POV)

I make my way to Zari, who is now sitting on the floor in the corner. She has her head down and is very quiet.

"Hey Zar... Are you doing okay?" I leaned down so I could look at her. She lifts her head up and her mascara is slightly smudged. "Does it look like I am okay? I hate him so much right now but damn it I still love him. Why did he have to go missing? Why him? And don't fucking pity me." She put her head back down and I sat next to her and just gave her some company so she didn't feel alone. She leaned into it so I assume she appreciated it.

A few minutes later, Kate, who was checking the rest of the cabin, came back and informed us she found nothing. Kira also came back empty-handed. Dixie was looking in the cabinets for... well I'm not really sure what the fuck she is doing.

I continue sitting with Zari until she gets up and walks to the bathroom. I get up and walk over to Sam and Beau. They are sitting on the couch, Sam looks worried and Beau is holding her. I sit down next to Beau and we sit there in silence. I mean what are you supposed to talk about when your friend is missing?

"Do you think he is hurt? What if he is... you know.." Sam breathed out. I looked down and that brought me into a thought process. Could he be in trouble? Even if he is a cheating bastard, he shouldn't die out there...

A few hours later, Kate looks out the window and her eyes light up with hope.

"Guys! The snow slowed down!!" Everyone leaped up and looked out. But when Beau tried to open the front door...
"Ummm we are snowed in.." The spirit of the room dropped significantly.

"Uhhhhh... You guys might wanna see this..." Dixie spoke. We focused our attention on the TV and...

"Earlier today a body was discovered floating down stream in the Mississippi river. Police have disclosed with press that the body is a male in his late teens possibly early twenties wearing gray ski gear. Authorities say that the possible ski lodge this young man came from was Canfords very own 'Point of Pines Ski Lodge'. The cause of death are stab wounds with a loss of blood. If anyone has information please contact the Canford mountain rangers at....

Everyone looked away while Dixie turned off the TV.

"That's...where we were." Kate says with her voice trembling.

"Homicide ..?" Christina says frightened.

All of our faces are stunned. "Fuck," Sam got up and started to walk away. "I need a minute." I watched Beau follow her into the den.

Kate started crying. "He died with us hating him." She spoke between sobs. "We aren't even sure it's him." Kira spoke out.

"We were the only ones there." Christina added. She thinks for a minute with her head down. "Wait, we were the only ones there. But they said he had stab wounds?".
We all look around at each other, knowing exactly what everyone is thinking.

It is around 8:45 now and everyone was back and tuning in for the news. We just have to get the confirmation, but deep down we all knew. As the clock hits 9 PM and the news starts.

" We come to you with concerning news. CSI has been able to do an extensive report on the body of the young man found early in the Mississippi river. Autopsy has been able to determine the cause of death was 9 stab wounds to the chest puncturing the lungs and heart causing almost immediate death. CSI has been able to identify the victim." Everybody tensed up. "The body has been identified as local UNC College student Jason Hayes." Kira quickly shut off the TV.

Zari got up slowly and went up to her room. Dixie and Christina went back to their room as well and so did Kira. You could see the pain in everyone's eyes. All of us were frozen, unsure of what to say or do. "Well..." Blake began. "He kinda deserved it." He shrugged. Before I could say anything, Kate had slapped him right across his face. "What the fuck is wrong with you?! Jason just fucking died and that's what you say? You're an ass" She stormed off and Blake stood there with his head facing down, in shock. I followed her up to the room.