05

The professor drew on the whiteboard with a red marker, the tapping breaking up the monotony in Kiera's mind. She was bored out of her mind as the professor droned on and on about physics. She only had to take this class as a pre requisite for her medical degree, so she had to force herself through this class.
She remembered her trip yesterday to the mall, and smelled a chunk of her candle wax that she had snuck into her pocket. Flash. She had begun to develop an infatuation with Dr. Hendrix. Even before the accident, she had wanted to be a doctor in order to save lives. After the crash, that urge was more prominent than ever before.
If she could make an individual feel the current way she felt, she would jump at the opportunity to save someone's life. As she sniffed the cedar wood scented wax in her hand, she began to see the professor's eyes wander over towards her, a look of curiosity shining in his eyes, before he went back to the white board, continuing his work on the formula plastered across it.
A bit of the wax broke off and fell onto the desk, and Kiera stared attentively at it. Hell, a piece of wax on a desk was more intriguing than the lecture currently going on. Suddenly, she heard someone clearing their throat and she looked up. When she did, the lights of the classroom shown brightly into her eyes. Flash.
"Could you please put down the wax Ms. Manning and actually focus on the lecture?" The professor asked. A flare of red anger shot through Kiera like a firework, and she quickly put the wax back in her pocket, before getting up and grabbing her folders, leaving the classroom in a hurry.
She slammed the door behind her, hoping the noise reverberated throughout the room. Served them right. How dare that professor shame her like that in front of the entire class?
As Kiera walked across campus, she began to slowly calm down, but a raging headache had came on, most likely from those damned fluorescent lights that were burning into the cones of her eyes, feeling as if her very
eye sockets were melting.
She cringed as the sunlight cascaded down onto the grass and through the trees, the leaves acting as a sort of filter. She used to find the suns rays comforting, like when she would go outside to escape her home life. The suns rays were like a replenishing source, after her energy had been drained away from her mothers cruel lashings.
But now the only comfort she wanted was the solace of her dark home, with the aroma of cedar wood burning throughout, the reminder of her guardian angel. Dr. Hendrix was the reason she was still alive, and though she hated herself for being such a recluse today, she knew that Dr. Hendrix would approve of such measures, especially after what she had gone through.

Kiera shut off her phone. She had a few missed calls from Margo, most likely about her walking out of the physics lecture, but she didn't care to speak with Margo at that very moment. It was alone time for her, and for her to bask in the scent of her savior. She smiled as the aroma wafted into her nostrils. She had been burning them for the last day, only blowing them out when she left the house.
The tips of the wicks were now ashen, with the candle wax itself having a slightly inverted look to it, due to the constant burning. That was okay. Candles were meant to be burned. Plus, she could always go to the store and find more of her treasured Cedar wood scent.
The wicks of the third candle she had purchased lit with a whoosh, and Kiera set down the lighter before heading off to her bed, the shades drawn around the entire house. Tomorrow, she would skip school and go see Dr. Hendrix. She needed to see him, just to thank him once again in person for saving her life.
But for now, she would snuggle under the covers, comforted by the light of the candles, the smell of cedar wood, and the warmth of her soft blanket. She drifted off to sleep easily, her dreams full of visions of Dr. Hendrix pulling her from the car.