[ 002 ] Guts

WE ALL WENT for the stairs, climbing up and going back on the roof

WE ALL WENT for the stairs, climbing up and going back on the roof. Merle was still there, sitting with a scowl on his face. The cop scanned the area for an exit, but wasn't able to come up with anything. I also looked around, but couldn't see a way out.

The cop was looking down at the dead freaks on the streets. "Think we can get past all those walkers again?" He asked.

"Probably not." Glenn said. "They were feeding last time– distracted."

"Can we distract them again?"

"Right, listen to him." Merle started, already earning a few sighs from the group. "He's onto something. A diversion, like on Hogan's Heroes."

"God, give it a rest." Jacqui snapped, clearly tired of him. I mean, I think everyone was sick of him at this point.

"They're drawn by sound, right?" The cop asked again.

"Right, like dogs. They hear a sound, they come." Glenn said in responde.

"They see you, smell you, and if they catch you– eat you." Morales added.

"They can smell us?" I raised an eyebrow. God, aren't these things dead? Why do they have all five senses? Honestly, I want to just crawl in a hole and die.

"They smell dead, we don't. It's pretty distinct." Andrea explained.

The cop seemed lost in thought for a second, he looked down at the floor, before raising his head up again to look at us. "I have an idea."

-

"If bad ideas were an olympic event, this would take the gold." Glenn said with disgust. That cop had stupidly suggested we gut one of those things and use their blood to cover up our human scent. I'm all for living and everything– but I'd rather shoot myself in the head multiple times before having to get elbow deep in one of those things' stomach.

"He's right. Just stop, okay?" Morales tried stopping the cop from going through with his idea. It was clear none of us liked the sound of it. "Take some time to think this through."

"How much time? They've already gotten through one set of doors." He looked through the clothing racks, picking an oversized white shirt off of its hanger and throwing it towards Glenn to change into.

He picked out two more shirts and put one on, giving the other one to Morales. They circled up as the rest of us waited, and after discussing their plan– they opened the back door and brought in a corpse.

The cop had a face shield and put it on. He picked up his crowbar and held it tight. With a sigh, he lowered the plastic face shield and turned around, slamming his weapon into a glass case that held a fire ax.

We all had found some white coats and put them on. Everyone stood silently around the body, staring down at it and mentally preparing ourselves for what we were about to do. All I could think of was barfing again.