The Getting Together Story

"Why am I not surprised?" Phe chuckled quietly to herself as she stood outside the Hummers Club bee shed.

Weems told her Eugene started his own beekeeping club. It made too much sense given how she met the boy. She hasn't had a chance to talk to him since then, but he was really nice and she really wants to join a club with someone she knows. Plus, she likes bees and bugs, so why not join Eugene's club?

She walked down the path to the shed, passing by the hives of bees. She gave the shed door a little knock before slowly opening it and peeking her head in.

"Phe!" Eugene smiled at her.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday asked with folded arms.

Phe eyes widened at the sight of Wednesday in the shed. She thought the goth was only in fencing, but apparently she doubled up with beekeeping. She and Eugene are close so that made sense. "I'm joining the Hummers."

Eugene gasped. "Really?! That's great! Isn't that great, Wednesday?!"

Wednesday huffed. "It's ... insignificant."

Eugene turned to Wednesday as he seemed to get an idea. "Hey, now can I go into the woods? Phe will be there with me, so I won't be alone."

Wednesday looked at Phe. "Are you willing to go with him again?"

Phe nodded. "Yeah, why not? Are you going somewhere?"

"My date with Enid is tonight, so I need the last few hours to make sure everything is ready and perfect."

"Aww, cute."

Wednesday glared. "Say that again and I'll skin you."

Phe held her hands up in surrender though she had a grin on her face.

Wednesday turned back to Eugene. "I'm going. Goodbye, Eugene." She left without another word.

Eugene turned to Phe with a smile. "Ready to go bug hunting again?"

Phe nodded. "Yup. Let's hit it."

Eugene grabbed his oversized backpack and they headed into the woods together. It was just like last time with them walking around, talking about bugs, and finding interesting bugs. And just like last time they thought they heard something behind them only to find a rabbit. Phe tried to approach it but it ran away from her. She pretended to cry which made Eugene laugh.

After spending hours in the woods, they started heading back to Nevermore. No longer talking about bugs, Eugene decided to voice what he'd been wanting to say. "I'm really happy for you and Bianca by the way."

"Huh?" Phe was caught off guard and confused.

"You guys are dating, right?"

Phe's eyes widened. Shit, she almost forgot. Should she tell Eugene the truth? Maybe not until she can talk to Bianca about whether or not they're telling their friends. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, we are."

"So how did it happen? Who confessed first? Who made the first move? Have you kissed yet? Did you—"

Phe laughed at the boy's enthusiasm. "Why do you wanna know all that? I never took you as a gossip."

Eugene rubbed the back of his neck bashfully. "I'm not usually, but I wanna know who won the bet."

Phe stopped walking. "Bet?"

Eugene turned to her and nodded. "Yeah, our group was betting on when you two would get together and how it would happen."

Phe blinked a few times. They did what? They bet on when they would get together? Not even if they would, but when. And how. "You bet on us?"