Major Trust Issues

Mia looked awful. She had bruises peeking out from under her shirt as well as a black eye and busted lip. She had a backpack and her long blonde hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail.

Phe stood up and faced her. "What the hell happened to you?"

"I came out." Tears began to fill her bright green eyes. "I told my parents the truth, that I lied." She chuckled bitterly. "Dad didn't take it very well. Neither did mom, but at least she only yelled."

Phe shook her head in disbelief, but that's when she noticed all the eyes on them. She grabbed Mia's hand. "Come on, let's go somewhere private." She led her to the dorms.

Phe couldn't believe that Mia was actually here and not back in Seattle. She knows she should probably be pissed at her, but she's not. She is a little mad—how could she not be—but she's not pissed. Because Phe has always known why Mia lied about their relationship. Her current look just solidified that reason.

They reached Ophelia Hall and Phe took her to her dorm. She closed the door behind them and leaned against it while Mia sat on her bed. "Why would you come out?" Phe asked. "You do realize it kinda makes you destroying my life pointless."

Mia frowned and looked to the floor. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. You have no idea how sorry I am." She looked back up at Phe. "If I could go back and just come out that day instead I would have. It's what I should've done but I was just just too much of a coward."

"So why now?" Phe asked again.

Mia stood up. "Because I missed you. For five months all I've thought about was you. I realized losing you was my biggest mistake. What I did to you was my biggest mistake. So I packed a bag, came out, they took it exactly like I thought they would, and then I left, hopped on the first plane here. I had to see you." She held her hand out to Phe who tentatively grabbed it. Mia pulled her to the bed and they both sat down on the edge. "I know I'm the one beat up, but you don't look so great either. Have you been eating?"

Phe shook her head. "Not really."

"What happened? You only stop eating when you're really sad."

Phe sighed. "None of my friends trust me anymore because they found out about my power and about your claim. Including the girl I'm in love with."

Mia took a shaky breath. She knew there was chance Phe might've already moved on when she decided to come here. That didn't make it hurt any less. "I'm sorry. Really. I—I can talk to them if you want. Tell them I lied."

"No, don't." Phe shook her head. "You've already done enough."

Mia squeezed the hand she was still holding. "I'm sorry."

"I know you are." Phe stood up, letting go of Mia's hand and stepped toward the door. "It's just not fair, ya know? If I tell people what my power is they leave, but if I don't they still leave. When are they supposed to stay?"

Mia stood up. "I'm sure they'll come around. The girl you love will come around."

Phe turned back to her. "But the longer she takes to come around, the less I want her to."

"What do you mean?"

"It was so easy for her to just stop trusting me and leave. It shouldn't be that easy, right? I—I deserve someone who doesn't leave, someone who it's not easy for, right? Someone like ..." Phe licked her lips and gestured at Mia "... like you."

Mia frowned. "But I did leave you, Phe."

"But it wasn't easy for you. And you only did it for your own safety." Phe took a small step closer. "How come you're the only person to ever stay? To ever fully trust me?"