Chapter 23: Mom is forever

Lizzie's pov:

Today is the day where all my friends from set, my team we're hanging out and I get to introduce Tessie to them finally as my daughter. She's getting better, recovering. I tried really hard to make it less painful for her. Try to make her forget. I could say I partly succeeded. Or at least I think so. There's been days where she'd be like a spark, running around house, wanting to have fun and the other day she'd be just okay, chilling but not in her best mood I guess.

She might seem happy some days, but I can't know what's troubling her during night. There's been two times when she'd come to my room in the middle of the night, holding onto her stuffie like for a dear life, sniffling. Her face being puffy, eyes bloodshot. I'd ask what's wrong and check if she's hurt, but she didn't wanna tell me anything. We'd just lay and I'd rub her back. I could see she was hurting, I just didn't know what was causing it.

"Everyone's gonna be there?" she asks me anxiously, during dinner

I wanted to make something light, something she could happily eat, maybe enjoy.

She still hasn't told me what happened during the shopping day in the restroom. I KNOW something did happen. Something important...

I wish she could believe me I won't ever hurt her or yell at her like her mother used to. Even though, I see her slowly breaking the barrier, she still struggles with the painful memories.

"Yep, Auntie Scarlett, Chris, Robert and rest of the people you met on set"

"Auntie Scarlett. That sounds funny" she giggles

"What about uncle Chris?" I raise my eyebrow with a smile

"Ah! Even weirder!" she laughs as I poke her side

"What abooout...mommy Lizzie?" I tickle her

"My favorite!" she wiggles, trying to shift, so I stop

"That's what I thought" I say sarcastically and stop tickling her "okay, hand me the plate, please" I tell her, when standing in front of the sink to wash the dishes

When I'm done, I turn around to see Tessie playing with the napkins.

"Masterpiece" I comment, I place a hand on her arm and look closer at the origami my daughter made

"I ain't no pro" We laugh

"Okay, missy" I look at her, hoping she already knows what's about to be done "you know, what we gotta do"

"What?" she giggles, not knowing, still in her good mood

I know the moment I'd bring it up, she'd start feeling down again. I have to change her bandages everyday. I wish I didn't have to, but that's how things are. I have to. I want the cuts to heal as quickly as possible, but I don't want to remind Tessie of that night. It's hurting me to remind her.

"Sweet, sweet, baby, will you let mommy Lizzie help you?" I try to approach her as softly as I can

As this moment, she knew. 5 minutes ago she felt just like a kid without worries, now she remembers being a kid with traumatizing past, depressed and abandoned.

"Mommy, no" she whines at the edge of tears "I'm staying right here. I don't wanna change it. Please, don't. Mama, please" she begs me

It hurt like hell. But I had to do it.

I kneel in front of her and cup her face.

"Baby girl, we have to change the bandages" I feel my own tears in my eyes, luckily I manage to blink them away "c'mon" I grab her hand, hoping she'd come, but she doesn't