15. Are You Dying?

"The love of the Seven is holy and eternal. The source of life and love. We stand here tonight in thanks and praise to join two souls as one." The high septon began. ''Father... Mother... Warrior... Smith... Maiden... Crone... Stranger. Hear now their vows.'' Rhaenyra stared across at a weepy Laenor, for he had just lost the true love of his life. Rhaenyra glanced back as Vaera she offered the most pitiful of smiles in return.

''I am yours and you are mine. Whatever may come.'' Laenor said sadly.

''I am yours and you are mine. Whatever may come.'' Rhaenyra whispered back and kissed the corner of his lips.

''Here, in the presence of gods and men, I proclaim... Laenor of House Velaryon... Rhaenyra of House Targaryen, to be man and wife. One flesh... one heart... one soul... now and forever.'' The high septon declared as Viserys collapsed to the ground before them. 

"Father!" Vaera shouted dropping down next to him. "Get maester mellos!" Vaera demanded as Rhaenyra stared down paralyzed at the sight. Vaera couldn't breathe. "Daddy wake up, wake up." Vaera begged holding tight to his hand.

Ser Criston was going to kill himself after what he had done, the dishonor of it all. He couldn't live with himself what he had done to vaera too hurting her he saw her face as she stared at what he had done. He just wanted it to be over.

''Criston..." he turned at the sound of vaera voice. "What the fuck?"

"Vaera-"

"What are you doing?" Vaera demanded criston looked to the blade in his hand before dropping it. "Criston!"

"Vaera I-"

"My father collapsed. I need whatever the hell is going through your head right now-" vaera was trying to be brave but he could hear her voice breaking. "-to just shove it down. Okay? Just whatever that knight said or whatever this is about..." she moved towards him. "My father might be dying. Im not losing you too..." criston rose up and hugged her she sobbed into him. "Why is this world so mesed up?" Vaera whimpered.

"Im so sorry... I'm so sorry..." he held tight to her. "I never meant to make your life more difficult."

"You didnt." Vaera whimpered. Criston held her kissing the top of her head.

"You sure?"

"I love you. I cant lose you Criston."

"I love you, Vaera."

+

"Is he... I mean did you fix him?" Vaera asked.

"We had to take the arm but yes. the infection has stopped" Mellos agreed.

"Can I see him?" Vaera questioned.

"I think he would like that." Mellos agreed. Vaera was not surprised that Alicent wasn't here with her own husband in this trying time. Vaera moved to her fathers side, gnawing nervously at her lip as he stirred awake before her.

"Vaera..." his voice was weak as he adjusted in bed.

"Daddy what happened?" Vaera questioned her words broken as she saw his missing arm.

"I'm alright Vaera." Viserys assured extending his remaining hand to her. "Come here Vaera.'' Vaera held to his hand her eyes wavering. "I'm alright Vaera." He repeated.

"I cant wed Tyon Lannister." Vaera declared. "I must stay and tend to you." Vaera told him as she sat down at his side, silent tears falling down her face.

"Lets not worry about the Lannister's right now love'' Viserys suggested.

"Are you dying?" Vaera whimpered. Viserys glanced down to his missing arm.

"His grace will survive, we were able to get the whole of the infection." Mellos told her and Vaera nodded tears dripping onto Viserys,

"Oh honey." Viserys whispered pulling her to him.

+

"Hes going to be okay." Criston whispered as he held vaera night after night.

"I almost lost him... the fucking Lannisters are still being awful- Criston I dont want to marry him."

"Then dont." Criston agreed and she sighed leaning into he kept a hand around her waist as she draped a leg over his keeping him hostage to her. "I dont have a cookie on me." He added and she shifted on his chest looking up at him. "Or else I would try for a better proposal..." vaera bit her lip.

"Talk to my father... I want to do things right. Restore your name and... I want a family one day. I want a family with a man I love not a stranger." Vaera remarked.

"I want that too. I want that with you." Criston agreed.

"Talk to my father before this blasted union happens. We can talk to him together if you are certain-"

"I am." Criston declared.

"What if he says no?" Vaera whispered.

"We give him a better reason to say yes." Vaera nodded relaxing into him. This could work. They could be a family. They could be in love. She didnt want to look back and her life, on criston and not be able to be with him. To think of him and have his name hurt to even think.