Chapter 1

Visioner wished his life was anything but his life. 

It didn't make sense, but it did to him. 

He wished he was bold, strong, heroic, anything but him. 

He wished he could stretch out his wings and fly.

He wished he didn't need to be stuck in this dark, damp cave with hardly anything to eat.

He wished the small bursts of seizures and nightmares would stop.

He wished he could learn to read and write.

But more than anything, he wished his father could be just a slight bit nicer to his dragonets. He knew that the outside world was harsh and dangerous, and everyone was even scarier than Destroyer, but he wished with all his heart that one day he'd truly love them.

Visioner huddled his wings closer to his body, his aching head rested on the cool, jagged rock. He hoped his pure black scales melted into the shadows, and Destroyer couldn't find him. 

Then again, that meant he had to starve for three days in a row. 

Again.

Something brushed against his tail, and Visioner jumped, his heart racing. 

"I'm sorry, I'll come out no-" He stopped as he noticed the familiar sweet, light violet eyes blinking up at him. "Oh. I didn't know it was you, Brightness."

His sister sidled up besides him, dark purple scales against pure black. 

Which meant that Destroyer could see him now.

"VISIONER," Their father roared. "I CAN SEE YOU. COME OUT THIS INSTANCE, YOU WORTHLESS PILE OF SAND!"

"See you later," Visioner murmured to Brightness before stumbling towards Destroyer. "I hope."

He flinched as a heavy talon slammed his head to the ground. 

"I feed you," Destroyer growled into his ear. "And you repay me by hiding from me, feeding evil stories to your sister? You deserve this punishment. Do you deserve this?"

Visioner tried to nod, but his head was still pinned to the ground, so he whispered, "Yes."

"Louder," Destroyer snarled. "Do you or do you not? DO YOU OR DO YOU NOT?"

He lifted Visioner's head up painfully, and swatted his sharp claws across his face. Visioner held back a yelp as blood trickled down his snout. 

"I do," He croaked. A thin, satisfied smile slid onto Destroyer's face. 

"Good," He said. "Because today you're going to see how much pain fire feels like."