Chapter 19

When Visioner explained his thoughts to Moon, the NightWing was silent for a moment, stuck in her own thoughts.

At last, she said, "Maybe blood moons can make NightWings see the future in another dragon's perspective. But you were hatched the day before, and you only got a small amount of that power."

"But what if it isn't that?" Visioner asked miserably. "Maybe I'm just weird and freaky and cursed."

What if Brightness is 'cursed', too? Maybe Destroyer was right; maybe the moons cursed her. That's why he kept us inside the cave. For ours and other dragon's safety. 

"You aren't cursed," Moon said firmly. "I can read minds and see the future, but I'm not cursed. We aren't cursed. We're just different and unique."

"Maybe it's only me and Brightness that's cursed," Visioner continued numbly, not hearing Moon's words over his panic. "That's why I get these weird seizures and bursts of the future. That's why Brightness can taste words and feel colors and smell pain. That's why she can't talk and she doesn't react to anything anyone does. That's why she won't wake up."

"No. Please, just listen to me, Visioner." Moon shook him gently, and Visioner let out a strangled yelp, scrambling out of her grip. "You. Are. Not. Cursed. And neither is your sister. You were hatched the day before a blood moon, and your sister probably has a mental syndrome that no one has found out about yet. You aren't weird or abnormal or anything. You're special, Brightness is special, and no one is going to hurt you here."

Visioner looked up at her, surprised. No one's going to hurt us? No more fire? No drowning in ice-cold water? No beating every morning and no pain in watching Brightness getting hurt? But- but- but that's not right...The outside world is supposed to be dangerous. That's why he kept us in that cave the entire time.

Moon was silent for a moment, her green eyes shadowed with worry, surprise, and fury. She quickly changed the subject. "Anyways, there's a reason why I came here.

"Tsunami's put you into the Gold Winglet, and Brightness will be in the Silver Winglet."