Chapter 3

When Visioner was still in his egg, and Brightness was in hers, they were outside the cave, basking in glowing moonlight from a full moon. The only time they had been out of their home.

Brightness's egg had been black, black, black, but Visioner's wasn't.

His egg was the color of moonbeams and stars and dreams. 

It was strange, really, because Starspeckle, their mother, told them that NightWing eggs were black. Visioner wasn't sure, but he knew, deep down, that the moon had given him a power. 

The power to see the future. 

That was why his egg was different. He never told anyone what he saw in his seizures or his nightmares. Brightness had caught him in a seizure twice, but she didn't say anything. She never did.

But he didn't tell her about the faint words that marched through his head, but disappeared when he tried thinking about them. 

He'd caught a glimpse of a mountain with hundreds of dragons his age once, but the strangest thing was that they were all different colors. Yellow, blue, white, black, green, red, orange, even pink. 

He wondered what this strange place was, because everyone was laughing and smiling and looking as if all their wishes had come true. 

None of them had looked as if their father had tortured them. 

None of them seemed to worry about being hungry. 

None of them seemed to have seizures that made them collapse on the ground, shaking uncontrollably. 

None of them worried about their sister when she was too weak to move after an especially harsh session of pain. 

None of them seemed to be unable to talk.

None of them seemed to be able to taste colors and see smells. 

None of them had visions of the future.

None of them but one. 

Only one of them could understand his power. 

Only one of them could help them. 

And only one of them had been born under full moons.

Moonwatcher.