Chapter 17

Visioner woke up the next day to find that it was almost morning. He remembered that he was supposed to meet Starflight in the library, and he jumped out of bed, stumbling slightly. 

A few dragons had come every day to check up on his injuries and his arm, and Visioner was relieved to see that he'd live, although a permanent limp would prevent him from walking too fast. He was just glad that they didn't come with fire or ice-cold water to drown him in.

He limped out of the hospital wing, praying that he wasn't late.

Cave to the right, cave to the right...there! He stopped in front of a huge cave with hundreds of tall, wooden shelves. Feathery scrolls were stacked neatly in the shelves, and a few dragons were huddled up in cozy corners, reading silently.

Wish I could read, Visioner thought glumly. Starspeckle had taught them the basics of flying, talking, and reading, but it was difficult when their father was looming over them almost every second of the day. 

He made his way into the library, gaping at the scrolls and thin leaf windows that let in light that he hadn't seen in a few years. He breathed in the scent of paper, and spotted a black dragon with bandages covering his eyes. He was feeling a scroll with strange bumps on the paper, his claws moving swiftly.

"Good. You're here," Starflight said approvingly, and Visioner jumped. How had he known? 

"H- hello," He stammered. "Um. Y- you said you wanted to see me?"

"I saw that you didn't know a lot of things about the outside world," Starflight told him. "Pretty surprising. Have you been living under a mountain for your entire life?"

"...Yes?"

"Oh." Starflight fell silent for a moment, and sighed, rolling up his scroll. "I guess I'll start with something simple. We live on a continent called Pyrrhia, and there are seven tribes. SkyWings, IceWings, SandWings, RainWings, SeaWings, MudWings, and of course, NightWings."

Visioner listened intently as Starflight explained about every tribe's powers, scales, and queen. 

"Will you teach Brightness all these things, too?" Visioner asked, when Starflight finished the lesson.

"If you bring her next time," Starflight agreed. "What about three days later, you come here and I'll teach you about the War of SandWing Succession and the Scorching?"

"Okay." And for the first time in three years, Visioner smiled.