Chapter 6

Brightness? Visioner thought faintly. He's going to kill Brightness? 

"But- but I thought-" He stammered, but flinched back as Destroyer glared at him, hissing a plume of fire on his arm. Visioner let out a yelp as his arm seemed to fall off. Stars burst in front of his eyes. 

"DO YOU WANT TO LIVE?" Destroyer roared. "IN PEACE AND A LUCKY LIFE WITH NO DANGER OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD?"

"I- I do," Visioner whispered. "But- I thought you loved us. Why are you killing Brightness?"

"I never loved you," Destroyer growled. "You're both stupid and in my way. But a way to let go of my anger and stress. But you can never escape, because the world will swallow you up in its danger before you breathe in fresh air."

Visioner swallowed; This couldn't be happening. All along, when he'd thought Destroyer had cared for them, he'd actually only used them for his own good. He'd seen too much good in his father, and not enough bad. 

But he must at least love him a bit? He'd saved them from the world outside. Visioner wasn't sure what to think of his father anymore.

"I- I- I don't," He said, terrified of what would happen. "Want to live in a world without Brightness. How can you kill her? W- what did she do to you?"

"She's a curse," Destroyer snarled. "She can't speak, she never shows pain, she can hear colors, see sounds, taste pain...she's abnormal. It was foolish of me and Starspeckle to let her live."

"But she's your daughter," Visioner murmured sadly. "What will Starspeckle say?"

Destroyer suddenly burst into a fit of rasping laughter. "Where have you been in the past few days, lizard?" He croaked. "Starspeckle was cowardly, and kinder than necessary. It was unfortunate when we went out hunting a day ago, and my claws accidentally snapped her neck, not the seagull..."

Visioner's eyes widened at the sound of the murder. "You killed her," He whispered. "You killed Mother."

"So what if I did?" Destroyer growled. "Do you want to live or not? Answer yes, I'll give you the cure and kill that cursed dragonet, slowly and painfully. Answer no, I'll leave you in agony for the next three days and kill her anyways."

Visioner closed his eyes. He couldn't live in this cruel world any longer. He opened them again, and this time he saw his father in a different way.

No love, no grief, no regrets.

"No."