Chapter 7

This was how Visioner would die. 

He should've known, after all the warnings his nightmares had given him.

"I'm so sorry, Brightness," He whispered. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

His arm felt like it was on fire; it was still only day one since the venom had taken effect. He watched every day, with guilt and sadness as Destroyer tortured Brightness in every gruesome way possible. 

Although she couldn't say anything, and she never expressed her pain, Visioner could see with every stiff muscle in her wings and the way her head drooped, Brightness was still feeling every hit. 

He thought of Starspeckle, who'd been killed by his father just a few days ago. How could he have missed it? He should have noticed something was suspicious. 

Visioner's head pulsed, and he touched it tenderly, wincing as his claws brushed against his skull. His head ached every time a seizure came along, and he prayed that it wouldn't come, for they always caused a lot of pain. 

He noticed that it was quiet, and he looked up to see that Destroyer was nowhere to be seen. Brightness was a bundle of dark purple scales on the ground, the strange silver scales that dotted her spine glimmering faintly in the dark. Her breathing was ragged, and she gazed ahead blindly. 

Visioner forced himself up, dragging his arm as he made his way to his twin sister. "Are you okay?" He asked. Brightness looked up at him with dull purple eyes. She reached up with a trembling talon and grasped something invisible in the air. She opened and closed her mouth as if she was speaking, but no sound escaped from her jaws. A thump made Visioner whirl around, and immediately rushed to his spot. 

Destroyer emerged from the shadows, holding something in his claws. Visioner looked closely at the dark lumps, and noticed something about them.

Two shapes with limp, broken wings. One of them was a dusty yellow, the other a strange greenish-blue with glow-in-the-dark scales and gills. 

They were dead dragons from the outside world, the only ones he'd ever seen in his entire life. 

Visioner saw something flash in the corners of his eyes, and then he sank to the ground, his body twitching uncontrollably. 

Then everything was washed away in a sea of darkness.