Chapter 2

Visioner frantically held his breath as Destroyer shoved his body into ice-cold water. Freezing blue claws dug their way between his scales, and his shout of pain became a burst of bubbles. The burns on his wings and chest ached as the cold stung, but his snout felt white-hot with pain. 

After Destroyer had breathed huge bursts of flames onto him, he'd decided that there was nothing better than a swim in melted ice to cool him down. Visioner splashed up to the surface, taking in a short gasp of air before Destroyer shoved his head down again. 

Visioner sunk to the bottom, his lungs screaming for air. He waited for five seconds, and launched back to the surface, where Destroyer grabbed him by the wing and dragged him onto the ground. Visioner flinched as his rough talons pinched his tender, burnt scales. He closed his eyes, his sides heaving as he coughed out a fountain of water. He shivered as the cold air in the damp cave swept against him.

"Go," Destroyer snarled. "No food or water for you again. You'll see how it feels to really starve now; Ungrateful dragonets these days are always complaining about how less food they get. When I lived in the volcano, I had to survive on bird carcasses once every month."

This was what made Visioner think that Destroyer truly loved them. He must care for him and Brightness, if he at least gave them enough rations. 

He held onto that one strand of hope every day, as Destroyer slowly drained the life and happiness out of him. 

We might die earlier than most dragons, Visioner thought, thinking of the countless seizures that brought the visions of his death, when Destroyer hurt him and his sister too much for their weak bodies to bear. But at least we're still alive.

"I said, GO!" Destroyer roared, kicking Visioner's limp form towards the wall. "You pitiful lizard. Get out of my sight!"

Visioner's entire body rang with pain, and he closed his eyes, relieved that the torture was finally over.