Chapter 10

Visioner had to act fast. His death would happen just tomorrow, and from what he'd seen in his visions, the chances of Brightness surviving the night was shrinking. 

But did he really want to leave this cave? Visioner puzzled over his thoughts again. Was leaving the only safe home he'd ever lived in actually a good idea? What if there were no more safe caves out there in the world, and the only ones were inhabited by huge, dragonet-eating dragons? 

But the mountain. He grasped onto the thin strand of hope. He hoped that the mountain really was what it looked like in his seizures.

If he wanted to run away from Destroyer, this was the time. Destroyer had left just a few moments ago, and he wouldn't come back for a long time, judging by the mutter of murderous words Visioner had heard him say under his breath. 

He must be killing other dragons right now, He guessed, feeling sick. Which means I have a lot of time.

Visioner crawled towards Brightness's limp body. He gently shook her awake, and she opened her pale eyes into narrow slits. 

"Brightness," He whispered. "Let's run away. I'll carry you to a mountain with happy dragons and friends and mangoes. We'll have enough to eat, and no one will hurt us there."

Brightness blinked up at him, the strange silver scales that were dotted around her black horns glimmering in the dim shadows. 

"Do you want to go?" Visioner whispered. His arm was on fire; hundreds and thousands of centipedes were crawling up his body and sinking their sharp, venomous pincers everywhere, and he bit back a gasp of pain. Brightness reached out a trembling talon, stroking his arm, and nodded. 

That was enough of an answer for him. Visioner hauled his sister's tail onto his good shoulder, and held her tightly in his claws, making sure her wings were out of his way. His arm screamed with protest, but he ignored it. Starscatter had taken snatches of her time teaching them both how to fly where the cave was the tallest, and when Destroyer had left to hunt for food. 

Visioner hoped his weak wings were enough to lift both of them. He awkwardly scrambled to the entrance of the cave, and spread his wings. Huge, dark clouds covered the gray sky, and rain poured from above. He adjusted his grip on Brightness one last time, and launched into the sky. 

For the first time ever, they were looking at the outside world, leaving their safe home forever.