Chapter 4

Sometimes Visioner wondered about this strange, mysterious dragon called Moonwatcher. Sometimes he wanted to spread his wings and fly all the way to this mountain, carrying Brightness in his talons.

Of course, they'd die first because the world was a world of pain and fury and death. Destroyer had taught them strictly not to go outside of the cave, because of the dangers outside. Huge dragons thrice their size could gobble them up, massive craters that blew them up when they stepped on the ground, and killer bugs that could make them roll on the ground in agony with one bite. 

Visioner was curious about Moonwatcher, though not curious enough to venture out of their safe cave. 

He was shaken into the real world as something painful was injected into his arm. Visioner woke up with a yelp, and opened his eyes to find Destroyer's dark amber eyes burning into his dark purple ones. Another year had passed, though nothing eventful had happened. Starspeckle was nowhere to be seen, as if she had vanished without a trace.

"Took you long enough," He growled. "See if you can move that arm."

Visioner held out his trembling arm, and bit back a shout of pain as something burned in his arm. He kept it up, though tears pricked at the corners of his eyes. 

Anyone would think that three years of constant injuries would make him tough and used to it, but it still hurt every single time. 

"Not enough, I see," Destroyer muttered, and held up some sort of scorpion's barb that had a darkish tip. "One more will do."

He stuck the pointed end deep into Visioner's outstretched arm, and another explosion of pain fizzled in his veins. His arm felt numb, and he couldn't control it anymore. It dropped to the ground next to him, and Visioner couldn't hold back the sharp cry of pain as everything seemed to burst inside his arm. His veins were almost bursting, and blood trickled out of some wound that he couldn't see. 

"That," Destroyer informed. "Was a freshly-killed SandWing's deadly tail-barb."