Chapter 5

A what? Visioner thought numbly. He was slipping in and out of consciousness, experiencing more pain that he'd ever felt in the three years of his life. 

"Almost as deadly as a Dragonbite Viper bite." Destroyer let out a bark of laughter. "A dead SandWing's barb is deadlier than an alive one's barb. Not many dragons know about that. Causes paralyzation and extreme pain. A permanent limp, if you're lucky enough to survive. Death after three days of agony. But I'm not going to let my precious dragonet die."

Because he loves me, Visioner thought desperately. Because he cares for me.

"I have a cure for you," Destroyer continued. "But I'll only give it to you if you do one thing for me."

Visioner blinked up at his father, confused. He'd never said anything like that before. "Okay," he whispered. "Okay."

"Whatever I do, it's for better causes," Destroyer growled. "Some dragons have found out about you, your weird little sister, and Starspeckle. They want to kill you and eat all three of you, so I'm going to do something to them to keep you alive. Do not say anything to anyone. Or your sister will die, and so will you."

Visioner was even more confused now. Of course he'd do that! He'd do anything to protect Brightness. "I'll do it," He said. 

"I'm not done yet." Destroyer looked a little satisfied, but a glint of something- fury? Thirst? Madness?- glimmered in his amber eyes. "One more little thing. 

"Do not do anything when I kill Brightness."