King's Work

Since her arrival, about a week would past as she slowly tried to get closer to the rulers and especially Sky; Caroline was still extremely satisfied with her presence since she'd do anything she wanted so Sky no longer had to bear her, but also motivated her to leave more often with suggestions and ideas. When she felt the need to cough too heavily, she'd simply excuse herself and say she needed to treat her wounds in her room instead to give herself a break.
It was Sunday afternoon when the servant calmly knocked on the Prince's office, calling for him. "King Skylar, may I come in?" She asked.

The prince would look up from his desk towards the door before answering "You may" he answered and looked back down for a moment dipping the tip of his quill into the ink, writing down his signature on the paper while waiting for her to enter his office

The servant slowly opened the door and walked in, closing it behind. She bowed to him right away and stood properly again. "I wanted to inform you that Queen Caroline had just headed out." She said, slowly walking up to him and standing by his side. "I see you're back to working hard despite your sister's advice in the last days..." she also commented.

"I see...Good for her I suppose" he mumbled and finished signing, setting the quill aside. "Well- That paperwork won't do itself. I have to work on them regardless and I have debts to pay off...The taxes from Caroline have helped, yes, but they're so ridiculously high" he sighed softly and leaned back onto his chair for a moment before facing her again "And? You've been here for a week if I'm not wrong. Do you enjoy working here so far?" He asked smiling slightly

She listened attentively to his struggles and nodded understandingly. "I adore it, your Majesty. Especially working by your side." She answered, glancing at the paperwork for a moment then back at him. "If I may, King Skylar... you seem a little tense. I wanted to suggest... why don't you relax on your bed for a while? I can read the paperwork for you out loud and you can dictate to me what to write. That way, you'll only have to sign it without sitting all day." She offered calmly, tilting her head "It's harder to work if your head is so full of thoughts and pressure. May you please let me grant you this favor?"

He listened to her and smiled slightly at her answer "I'm glad to hear that then" he answered but once the servant suggested he'd rest while she'd help him with the paperwork he seemed hesitant at first. When she'd insisted a little he thought about it for a moment and stood up "Fine...I suppose laying down for a bit won't cause much harm" the prince eventually replied, separating a few papers already to make it more structured

"That's lovely. Thank you dearly for trusting me" she said, waiting for him to stand and be done separating the papers and then slowly sitting in his chair, looking down at the work. She waited for him to get settled on the bed as she had her back towards him and focused on the papers. It seemed like she was hardly struggling to do that since she was a pretty fast reader thanks to all the books she had. "So... this one is asking for funds to fix a bridge on the west of the kingdom. They say the rain has caused the river to overflow enough to cause too much mud and the supports are out of place." She simplified it for him and already took the quill, dipping it a little and ready to write an answer. "Shall I write you accept or deny the funds, your Highness? If I may dare to suggest, it could be a great idea to spare some money and ask your sister if she can manage to do something about it, first." She said, peeking behind her shoulders towards him.

Once he was done, he walked up to his bed and settled down, laying onto the mattress and sighing softly with his eyes closed briefly as he listened to her "Oh, you're quite fast at reading-...Yeah. You're probably right though. I suppose I'll deny them for now and try to let it get fixed with the help of my sister. I'll be checking it myself as well soon" he explained

"Wonderful," she said, starting to write down basically what he said but in a formal manner. She then set it aside for him to sign later and went on to the next ones, taking a few seconds to read. "These next three all have about the same subject but from different people. It's fishermen, and they're asking if they should sell the fish inside the kingdom to maintain the people, or if they should try to go to other kingdoms to let the economy run more easily. What should I write?" she asked, ready for his answer.