14| Something Fishy

At the Elegance Room, Lan Haozhi, Lan Qiren, and Lan Xichen walked in together.

"Father. Uncle. Since our Lan Air Clan started these lectures, the Wen Fire Clan has never sent any disciples over. Even though this time it's just a pair of siblings from their distant relatives, I fear there are ulterior motives." Lan Xichen shared.

They all walked to a table where a steaming pot of tea was ready.

"Xichen, anyone who comes here is a guest, regardless of his or her motive." Lan Qiren said.

"That is correct. We just need to treat them accordingly and be on guard." Lan Haozhi added

The two older Lan brothers sat face-to-face with each other. Lan Qiren was pouring a cup of tea for him and Lan Haozhi. Lan Xichen remained standing by the side.

"Xichen, do you still have some worries?" Lan Haozhi asked his son.

"Yes, Father. I'm thinking that the Wen Fire Clan is here for the Yang metal. And I believe they also think we already know where the piece of Yin metal has been hidden by the past Lan Air Clan elders. I wonder if..." Lan Xichen trailed off.

Lan Qiren took a sip of his tea.

"In the last 15 years, the Wen Fire Clan has been acting weird. First, their clan manor, Heavenly Nightless, has become like a city. They've taken in countless retainers. They've been running amuck in oppressing the weak," he said.

Lan Xichen nodded at his words.

"If this has to do with the reincarnation of the Avatar, as Wangji and Wuxian explained, then it's not something we can decide on our own." Lan Qiren added

Lan Haozhi choked and spat out the tea he was drinking, spraying some onto Lan Qiren's robes. The younger brother closed his eyes, restraining himself from screaming at his elder brother. Lan Huan tried to hold back his laughter. He had a solemn expression because of what his uncle said, but because of his father's actions, it was immediately replaced with a smile.

Lan Haozhi coughed, trying to speak, "The Avatar?"

Lan Huan spoke for his uncle. Since Lan Qiren was busy wiping off the tea that got onto him.

"Yes, father. The Avatar has now been reincarnated, but we are still not sure who it is. We are working on that." Lan Huan answered with a smile.

"Then it's really a good thing I came out of my seclusion. It's been like a hundred years since the last Avatar. I'm placing my bet on Wuxian. What about you, Xichen? Are you betting it might be Wangji?" Lan Haozhi said.

This time it was Lan Qiren's turn to spit out his tea. Unlike him, Lan Haozhi was prepared and avoided it in time before any got onto him.

"Gambling is forbidden in Cloud Recesses! What nonsense are you speaking about the Avatar being one of the two?" Lan Qiren said, almost raising his voice.

"Little brother, I was just kidding." Lan Haozhi chuckled.

Lan Huan was smiling as he watched the older two interact.

-

Along the endless mountains and streams, a lady in red wandered around. Her eyes were calculating, attentive to every detail she could perceive within her sight. She stopped to face a stream that cut the land in half; an abundance of trees, bushes, plants, and rocks were at the sides. From this spot, she could feel a different kind of energy flowing. This could be a forbidden area, and if it were, she could be sure that something important was being kept hidden. To test her theory, she took out a small, sharp needle hidden in her sleeves and threw it into the air. The needle landed on a tree trunk. There was no invisible shield or anything that kept the place guarded.