Chapter 6- Breaking News

Ethan....

Yesterday's event had left me with a pounding head and barely five hours of sleep. I walk down the hallway, like a living zombie.

On my way to my seat, people keep staring at me. I was sure I looked terrible as death. But I didn't care about that, not as I made my way to the lecture hall.

But what did make me halt, was when I sighted a poster, right in front of me. The words engraved on it made me stumble for a split second.

On it was written: I'm back, did you miss me hon?

Now, I knew why everyone was staring at me. It wasn't due to my physical condition, it was due to this poster. And I knew of only one person whom could go to any length to get what she wants.

"Layla..." Ethan mutters on his breath.

-------

The rest of the day was a blur, partly because it was spent on me wondering when she would barge into the lecture hall with a whole crew of medias. And that's what I hated.

The media.

After lectures I walked down the hall, aiming for my car when my phone suddenly buzzes.

I halt, fishing it out of my pockets, I stare blankly at the caller's ID.

It was an unknown number. Who could this number belong to? The only way I could find out was to answer the call.

I pick the call, and then the voice that answers leaves me cold.

"we have your cousin." A deep voice said and I suddenly couldn't move. "if you want him alive then you have to give us ten million dollars." The deep voice said again, I tried my best, but failed to speak. And couldn't yet again.

"We'll send the address, and time for you soon. You have only 48 hours to arrange for the money or else... I hope you understand?" The unknown voice spoke again and then the call ends abruptly.

Then, I finally found my tongue. "hhh...hello..." But it was too late already, the call had ended.

I paniked, my cousin...I needed help. But from who?

I make my way to my car, and immediately signal the driver to drive off.

And he does.

---------

I spend the first 24 hours of my time, pacing up and down in my room. I was still panicking and confused, I had thought of calling my mother but dismissed the thought as quickly as it had come.

Instantly, the idea of calling my brother came to my mind. He was my elder brother after all, he would help me.

With hope slowly filling my chest, I pick up my phone before dialing his number.

"hello, Eric... I need your help. This is about Paul."

24 hours later...

Another day at school, receiving lectures. Todays class was a blur, as dreadful thoughts of Paul's condition filled my head.

I almost sagged with relief once lectures were over and instantly pack my books ready to take my leave, but then her voice stops me.

"Ethan..." I freeze.

Slowly turning around, my eyes lock with a pair of cyan colored ones. I feel like I could drown right now and there. But I don't say anything either.

"we... I need to talk to you." She says softly.

"I don't want to talk to you Lyria." I reply turning around.

"But... Its urgent..." She insists, grabbing my hand. But I'm too pissed to listen. "I said, I don't want to talk!" I yell at her, and she moves back slightly looking startled.

I instantly regret yelling at her, as she slowly releases my hand. And suddenly it hits me, as I  realize how much I suddenly missed her warmth.

"I'm.." I start but she cuts me off.

"Don't." She says. I could have sworn her eyes were tearing up. But before I can properly explain, she turns around and walks away once again.