Chapter 9- Gun point

Lyria

I remained motionless where I was currently behind Ethan.

Layla had sent him, she had sent him.

"Ethan, please leave." I whisper, panic slowly creeping into my voice.

"No," he strong headedly refused.

"if you die, I'll be responsible." I whisper back, desperate this time.

"then so be it, but don't think that I'm going to be coward enough to leave you here." He says to me over a shoulder.

I could see the fierceness in his eyes, a burning determination which I couldn't put out. Even with my insistance.

"please..." I begged, if Ethan died I wouldn't think twice before plunging myself into an ocean to drown.

"No." he said, with finality.

No.

I was about to open my mouth to speak, but the sound of gunshot stopped me.

"enough of this drama." The masked man growled.

He slowly lowered his hand, causing the gun to point at Ethan.

"move aside, or I'll shoot." the masked man threatened.

"I dare you to." Ethan challenged. My eyes widen subconsciouly.

"Ethan have you lost your mind?" I ask, nearly screaming.

"I'll count till five, if you're not out of the way, I'll shoot. One." He began counting.

"Ethan, please move now." I said trying to push him out of the way, but he wouldn't budge.

"two." He yelled again, this time my heart beat accelerating.

"go." I begged.

"three." he counted on.

By now, everything around me was spinning.

"four." he said, setting the pistol.

"five, time's up." he said, and before I knew it... Ethan had turned faster than the eye could see and pushed me to the ground.

I groaned, and turned around to see the masked man place his finger on the trigger.

"Ethan, no!!" I yelled. The lights turn off and there is a sound of gunshot.

My heart sinks to my stomach, as I get to my feet.

"Ethan..." I call, but there's no response. I'm scared now.

All, I hear is ragged breathing.

"Ethan, are you there?" I yell, hands digging into my hair.

"I'm over here." I hear him whimper. His voice hoarse.

As soon as he says so, the lights come on. And I find him on the floor, elbow supporting his weight as he attempted to get up.

I rush over and help him. "you okay?" I ask.

Eyes scanning him for any injuries but found none.

"yeah." he says, still dazed.

I look around to find the masked man had run away.

I was happy he was safe, but then I remember something which turns my smile to a frown.

"wait," I say. "what?" He asks confused.

"I f you didn't take the bullet, then who did?" I ask him, and he looks puzzled.

I turn around to see who had, only to find a blonde haired on the floor.

I was instantly on my feet, and walking towards the body.

And behind me, was Ethan. It was a lady who had been shot. But her back was the only thing we could see, so Ethan lowered himself to the ground with great effort.

"be careful." I said, but he doesn't pay attention to me. Instead, he turned the body by tugging on her arm.

And when she lays fully on her back, I'm left completely confused.

I could never forget this face, not even in my dreams.

This person right in front of me, was none other than...

"Layla..." And she was bleeding profusely.

-------