Chapter 16- Stay Away

Ethan

I couldn't think straight. My heart hammering in my chest; she was in danger. The doctors had said she was in a critical condition.

What if she died? What if she doesn't survive?

Then I wouldn't forgive myself for whatever happens next.

Layla... I won't spare her I swear.

Before I could finish my thoughts, a nurse comes out of the theatre and the anger seething through me suddenly vanishes.

I get up to reach her, I needed to know how Lyria was doing. I stop her, so she doesn't leave my grasp.

"how...how is she now? Is.. she okay? Please tell me she's okay..." I say barely breathing.

She tries to calm me down, and I try to do so myself.

She begins, but slowly. "I'm afraid, she suffered a minor head injury, which may cause a mild concussion. Though she'll be fine soon, but it will take sometime for her to regain consciousness." she finishes looking me in the eye to see my reaction. It takes me sometime to take the information in, but I eventually do.

I blink, and something like uneasiness leaves my chest.

"can... can I see her now?" I ask slowly.

" Yes, you can." she says. I heave a sigh of relief.

"Thank you." I say, softly and make my way to her ward to see her.

****

Seeing her in this condition broke my heart. She hadn't regained consciousness yet and that was getting me worried. I sit in a chair, beside her. Her mask was laying beside her on the stool.

It struck me then and there that she wasn't wearing a mask. Her black hair splayed neatly on the pillow, and her breathing was steady. But that wasn't what caught me off guard. It was her facial features that struck me dumb. She had a perfectly slender yet pointed nose, and heart shaped rose pink lips. She was beautiful, which made me wonder why she wore a mask.

I reached for her hand, holding it gently in mine. I stared at her for a few seconds, confused on what to say.

In short, there was nothing left to say. What more could I say? I was the reason for her condition, and I need to fix it.

I glanced at her one more time before placing her hand back gently beside her. I get up with a sigh, "I'll be back." I whisper before leaving.

I had an unfinished business to finish off, and this time I'll make my stand clear.

Thirty minutes later...

I'm storming into my home, yelling like a real maniac.

"Layla!" I yell for the fifth time in a minute. Soon, steps echo as they descend the stairs.

"what's the meaning of this madness Ethan?" She asks, once she comes in front of me.

I stare at her, struggling to keep my anger and the will to strangle her under control.

"Are you seriously asking me what the problem is?" I ask her at the top of my voice, and she flinches in fear.

She opens her mouth to speak, but I cut her short. "You nearly murdered someone dammit! You nearly murdered your very own sister!!" I yell at her, and she shrinks back further. I turn away from her briefly, trying to get my nerves under control.

"Have you forgotten who you're talking to? I'm your girlfriend..." Layla starts, anger boils within me. "You are NOT my girlfriend. Get that in your freaking head." I say in a low threatening voice. She stares blankly at me, "is this all for her? Are you doing this all for that low life.." she begins. That's when I lose it. "Enough!" I yell, and it resounds in the entire building.

"You have no right of any sort to call her that, you freaking psycho! She's your sister for God's sake." I say placing a hand over my head in frustration.

"No, I hate her." She says emotionless. I stare at her, eyes cold as ice.

"Listen to me and listen good. If you even try to harm a single hair on her head one more time, then I won't spare you. Remember, you're only here because of my mother. Otherwise, you would be in the streets right now. Lastly, I want you to stay far away from both of us." I add, she blinks and I don't fail to notice how her hands ball into fists.

"From the both of you?" She asks, voice dangerously low.

"You heard me, stay away!" I yell, pointing a finger at her.

I turn on my heel and make my way out of the house, doing my best to hurry to Lyria.

She needed me.