Chapter 4

Friday is drawing near, the invitation is still open but after what happened; I'm just not sure. I didn't want to go before but now I want to go more than ever.

Is it to apologize? Is it to find out who this A is? I don't care, I say to myself, shaking my head but still unconvinced.

"You suck, boo!" my brother's voice echoes through the house. He slams the door and the house felt it.

"What are you, a girl?" I call down to him, not really caring about a reply but he did.

"Stupid bitch, how dare she say she's not going to the bonfire on Friday? Such a liar, everyone is going, even her and I bet she's just not going with me."

"Not everyone," I mumbled. "I'm not going."

"Duh, no shit Sherlock; you never go anywhere." He retorts.

"That's a lie," I walk out of the room and look down at him from up the stairs. "I go places."

"Um, where?" he's eyeballing me but I refuse to fall for it.

"School," I mumbled.

He looks at me dumbfounded, "seriously, where?"

I humph and walk back into my room, "I'm so not having this conversation with you."

"I thought so," I hear him sigh.

Here and there, I've decided that I'm going. I don't need an invitation, as my brother said; everyone is going so it would come as no surprise that I show up.

Okay, maybe it would but mostly because I really have not gone anywhere before. It's never too late to change; after all, soon I'll be in college. Might as well, I say trying to convince myself again.

An hour later, I seek for mom and found her on her bedroom floor going through a mess of pile papers.

"Lee, is it you?" she asks, hearing the door creak open.

"It's me, momma," I said and goes in. "Just need to borrow your credit card."

"Oh my," she takes her glasses off then turn to look at me.

"My, indeed." My poor mother looks a mess right now in her raggedy pajamas, lion pantoufles and strands of hair that fells off her buns.

"Ah," she looks down at herself. "Going through some things."

"I can see that," and really I do because mom has been keeping this family together since dad has left us. He said he'd be back but three years, he's nowhere to be found, not even a phone call or a post card.

Feeling bad, I go over and hug her tight like I used to as a kid. Mom hugs me back and suddenly it feels like old times again.

"So," we break apart. "Going shopping, should I be worried?" she asks.

"No, just going to a bonfire and I want to look nice."

"For a boy," she said, brightens up with smiles.

"Maybe," I teased. "Or a girl," I add, giving it away.

She giggles, mom actually giggles and I'm left in awe. It's the first since then and to me she still looks pretty and not at all her age (43).

"You so cute," she goes.

"No, you are." I go and now we're laughing.

"Mom!" Brother goes and the spell is broken.

"Shit" I cursed, mom dismiss it. She walks where her purse is at, pulls out the credit card and gives it to me.

"Have fun, honey." She kisses my cheek, "I love you so much."