Chapter 23

When I get home, nobody's home so I go to my room, take a shower and then find myself something to eat. Once I'm done, I go back up to my room and sit on the bed, my legs cross as I pull up my bag and goes through it. I take out the note and start to read it:

I don't know who you are or if you know what it is you're getting into, but no more games. You are playing with fire, little girl and if I were you; I'd stay put and be a good girl. Now bring back what you stole or what happened to you this morning will be the least of your worry.

I finish and look it over, there's no name or return address. I wonder if I'd be able to find fingerprints if I were to save them. I crumple it and put it where all the others are, in a ziploc bag tucked under my mattress and then take the other envelope from the previous night and take the key. I have to sneak in before it's too late, I thought. Soon, maybe tomorrow night. I put the key back and starts doing my homework.

I still couldn't stop thinking about almost getting hit earlier; the car looks the same as the one that picked Hannah up when Morgan and I were at Dunkin Donut, but not the same driver. Did they get a new guy? I ask myself.

And I need to talk to mom. Like what's up with her? The audacity, the nerve. Most moms would be rushing out of the house and make their kid feel better, call the cops and tell them to stay home from school. But not my mother, she's acting suspicious and all secretive and I'm starting to doubt her offer to help.

I fall asleep and when I wake, it was two in the morning when I hear a creaking sound and footsteps up the stairs. I am about to get off the bed and go take a look when I hear a knock at my door, I lie there and pretend to sleep. The person walks in and sit at the edge of my bed as I feel it dip by the weight.

"I'm sorry," mother's voice.

I feel her stand up, brush my hair aside and kiss my temple. A part of me wants to turn and ask her what's wrong, but I figure if I stay still and she thinks I'm asleep then she will confess something to me, but instead she says sorry again and walks away, closing the door behind her. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Mom, you're an idiot." I say, my arm on my forehead as I look up at the ceiling. It must be hard for her to be this way, but not bad enough to let your daughter get killed, right?

I go back to sleep.

*
Pascal and Nina are at my door early in the morning on a Saturday. When mom called me downstairs and I grudgingly walked down in my somewhat see through pjs, I did not expect to have company. So here I am rushing up the stairs as if I was at camp dipping in the lake when bullies take my clothes and hide them and I have no way to hide myself. Stupid Pascal had to blush while Nina on the other hand hit him hard on the chest for being a pervert.

It's not his fault, I don't think. I quickly shower and change into casual clothes; dark blue cotton pants, a grey tank top and a denim jacket with short sleeves over it. I go back downstairs and eat breakfast as I watch the two in the living room, their backs to me watching TV.

"Had an appointment?" Mom asks.

I shrug and goes to them, "yes?" I sit by the door with a bowl of Special K cereal and milk in my hand.

"Sorry to barge in," Nina starts.

"It's just..." Pascal counters.

"We're being targeted and us having nothing to do with each other is not helping," Nina finishes.

"So we figured," Pascal looks at Nina for approval to go on and she nods. "That we could crash here," they both finish together.

I raise an eyebrow at them, the spoon halfway to my mouth. My mom at the kitchen talking on the phone, maybe pretending that she's not listening; Nina and Pascal turns around to look at what it is that caught my attention and it's not what, but who. It's Niall coming downstairs all slumped over himself, a bracelet at his ankle, his hair a mess and his face pale.