Chapter 32

When I manage to reach the other side, up the stairs to Charlie's closet as I drag her limp body behind me - which is hard especially on my wounds - I find her room chaotic. Furniture turned, pillows trashed, the closet was even left open but I don't think that whoever did this realized that there's a secret door.

The place is quiet and it feels like days since the security got breached and someone broke in. I let go of Charlie's body and go to the door for a peek outside, but even that too is quiet.

The hallways is fogged with smoke, bullet holes drill into the walls and bodies all over the floor. I'm hoping that they are unconscious, but if Jean manage to get mom on his side, I will not be surprised if they are dead. I squat down and pick up one of the guards handcuff, and then go back inside and put it on Charlie.

She was starting to groan and maybe waking up, which can't be good. After much effort and bandaging my wounds, I pick her from under her arm and drag her some more until I reach her mom's office. Against the wall is a phone, I recall mom's number and dial.

It rings and rings, but nothing. I curse and bite my lip, then try Hannah.

"Hello," she says on the first ring. Her voice staggering.

"H-hi," mine croak and I stutter.

"Lee, Lee, is that you?!" She shrieks through the phone and I can hear her running.

"It's me," I hold back tears as I tilt my head up to the ceiling.

"Wait, just wait." She breathes,"Okay. Where are you?"

"I'm-" the phone slide off my hand and I fall to the ground.

In my delirium, I hear the click clack sound of high heels on the ceramic tile floor. I'm alert, but my body is numb and I'm tired so I can't move, and then I start to panic when I hear Charlie's mom.

"For fuck sake, that girl can't do anything right!" She shouts. "Make sure to clean this whole shit up and no fingerprints nor any wink of evidence."

"Yes ma'am," couple voices answer.

"Where the hell is she anyway?" I hear her ask to no one in particular.

I crawl on my arm and follow where her voice is coming from. She's up the stairs, looking down at the house maids and body guards that were more now than I've last seen them. Just when I'm about to pull back and find a way to hide before I get caught, someone grab me from behind and pin me up against the wall. Their knee is press at my stomach while their forearm is under my throat.

I choke and cling at their fabrics as I try to breathe for air. I look up to see Nina and my eyes widen.

"Y-you!" I whisper shout.

"Me," she grins and come up with a knife and my eyes will pop if I widen it more.

"What, caught you fucking your cousin and now you're here to finish me off while I'm down?" I ask, feigning bravado.

"Shh," she raise a finger up to her lips. "You're such a drama queen."

I roll my eyes.

"Nina!" Charlie's mom, "how's the sweeping?"

Nina leans over me and look past my shower, "still looking."

"Hurry the fuck up. I don't pay you mongrels to be fucking around."

"Yes ma'am," Nina said and come back to me. "So many fucks out of that petite mouth of hers, don't you just hate it?"

"If you're going to kill me, just do it. Don't be sitting here making small talk." I say.