Chapter 7

Once I get home, I lay in bed with my clothes on, looking up at the ceiling and think about all that has happened tonight. 

I'm in awe, ashamed and I can't help but blush. I feel hot; I take the pillow and snuggle with it as I roll in bed. I stop and touch my lips; the tingling feeling is still there, I think to myself.

"Lights out," mom calls out.

I get up quickly, get out of my clothes and change into pajamas. As I lay in bed, I can't help but think that something did happen and it was good.

*

The next day, I woke up due to the bell ringing nonstop and I couldn't help but feel as if someone hates me. I am ragged, tired, and somehow hungover despite the fact that I did not drink.

Not even the cup that was supposed to be mine when Morgan brought it over and I knocked it out.

The bell ring one more time and I groan. "Mom," I whine but I think that there's no one at home.

"Coming," I said making no attempt to fix myself. I go and get the door and to my surprise, it is the Jehovah Witnesses.

"Bad timing?" the lady asks.

Lydia, the woman that I am more used to intercept; I squint my eyes then begrudgingly open the door wider for them.

"You always do that," I said as I close the door.

"You knew we were coming," Lydia said.

"Yeah," I said. "But not at," I look at the cable and see that it's 2 p.m.

The fuck?!

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm going to get ready, fifteen minutes top."

I run up the stairs, quickly take a shower and change into casual clothes; a shirt that says I ♥ you, the heart shape in red and cut off shorts. I run my fingers through my hair, put on some chapstick (strawberry) and then search for the text that we do our lectures from – What Does The Bible Really Teach?

While rushing, my bag falls off and the note that I had found in my locker flutters out. I had completely forgotten about it.

"Lea!"

"Coming," I shout, angry for the disturbance. Slowly, I open the crumpled piece of paper and in it is my world crashing down before me.

I crumple it back and toss it in the bag then walk down the stairs, my body shaking for all the wrong reasons.

"You okay?" the lady that I've yet to know ask.

"Yeah, you look like you just saw a ghost." Lydia adds

"Um ..." I clear my throat. "No, I am fine." I take a seat across from them. "Let's start."

Though I said that, Lydia can tell that I am lying but she says nothing and just introduces the lady to me.

"Lea, this is Martha. She's a member but this is the first time she's come here with me."

"Obviously," I smile. "Hi," I extend my hand to her. She takes it, "nice to meet you."

"Likewise," she said and that was it.

At least for now.

"Remember where we left off?" Lydia.

"Yeah, chapter 6 – where are the dead?" I answer.

Right now, the dead is me. I can't stop thinking about what I saw in the note or who could have sent it.