Chapter 24

"So, mind telling me the reason why you were sneaking in the club late at night, Hayden's niece?" Jonathan says as if he really believes that I am Tamekia Hayden's niece, but we both know he's not buying it.

"Mind taking these handcuffs off of me, you are treating me like a criminal here, mister."

"Oh, save me the tears," he says.

"I forgot my shoes there before and I wanted to get it back," I lie. It's been too long, there's no way these shoes will still be there.

I watch him in the corner of my eye, there's also no way that the cops was called due to a suspicious person.

"Were you following me?" I ask.

His face pale, "N-no." He stutters, "I was on patrol when my radio went off."

"Hm," I eye him sceptically. "You were there, weren't you there?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he looks away.

"Of course you do," I lean forward. "You know for a cop, you're such a bad liar. How the hell are you Hayden's partner?"

"I'm not, she is."

"As if Hayden would put up with your shit, I know it and so do you." I say.

"Anyways, I'm the one interrogating you. Now, tell me what you were doing at Erotica Mara."

"Fine," I lean back. "I have a friend at the club and we were supposed to meet there so we could go to a party at the next town over, but I guess he stood me up."

I'm lying, of course. I wasn't invited at Lizzie's party and the two - Pascal and Nina - have no idea that I would be there. But it's not a lie that the party is happening no too far from the club, though he does not have to know that.

"Dress like that," he raises an eyebrow.

"Hey! Seriously, you're so judgy. And why are you not taking notes?"

"Do you want me to?" He crosses his arms against his chest.

"I don't know," I frown. "Isn't that what you cops do?"

"Go on," he says.

"Yes, dress like this. It's a party, nothing fancy and besides, we both know how dangerous the club is so there's no way I'd go there out in the open."

He sighs, "Are you really Hayden's niece?"

"Are you really a cop? What stupid question was that? The woman said I was, didn't she?"

"Yes, but I've met her family and I never once saw you."

"Maybe I didn't want you to, now I know why. Can you please take these handcuffs off of me? I've told you everything."

"Fine, but one more thing." He pauses, "I heard a noise inside the club earlier, was that you?"

"So you were there!" I shout, my eyes widen. "What's your secret?" I ask, squinting at him.

"None of your business," he says, walks behind me and unlock the handcuffs. Once he's done, I rub my wrists which hurts from the way he had put them on me.

"I need to call my parents, and can you please keep this a secret?"

"Who am I going to tell?"

"I don't know, Hayden. You're a dumbass, ain't you?" I ask. I don't know what it is about him that makes me want to bully him, toy with his head and laugh it off. But I don't want to push my luck and have him charge me of breaking and entering.

He shakes his head, "Kids these days." I gasp, realizing that he is the guy from the club when Morgan, Jean and I was at the club and Morgan had kiss me to cover up. I recognize it from his voice and the way he said it as if he is disappointed, but amused. I wonder what his deal is and why he was there but I won't bring it up now.

"The phone is down the hallway," he says.

"Or I can use my own." I carefully pull it out so nothing falls from my pocket.

"Sure."

I walk out of the office and call Morgan. It rings time and time again until the voicemail comes up, I was about to hang up when I decide to leave a message instead.

"Hey, I'm sorry. Can we meet? I'd really like for us to talk," I say through the phone. "I don't know, I'll be in my room if you choose to. Just climb through the window, I'll leave it open," I finish and hang up the phone.

"Done?"

I quickly turn around to find Jonathan leaning against the wall, his arms cross and a smirk on his face. "Are you in trouble?"

"I don't know, am I?"

"You're free to go, just don't let me catch you there again."

"Or what?"

He takes out the handcuffs and let them out in the open, I gulp. "Except next time they won't come off, understand?"

I nod, "crystal clear."

"Now get out of here," he says and I do not hesitate to walk out of the building.

I walk home thinking of all the shit that has happened, the way that everything is falling and that me and Morgan seems to be getting nowhere despite the obvious fact that we have feelings for each other.