Twenty

It was nearly the start of the New Year, which meant fresh goals, new love, new life, and fresh accomplishments. Mom and I decided to have a New Year's Eve party for ourselves and our guests this evening. Vivian Quinones was still in grief over the death of her late husband, Jonah. She has not been the same since her divorce. Mom attempted to cheer her up, but it was impossible. Melanie hadn't contacted me in quite some time. I had the impression that she was once again concealing something from me. I had called and texted her, and the fact that she had not answered concerned me. She promised that we would communicate better online as well.

Landon was one of the first things that sprang to mind. What if she was having fun with Landon? That is not something I should be thinking about. All I had to do was trust Melanie because I trusted her. I didn't want to wind up with another problem because she and I had addressed ours.

It was almost midnight at eleven o'clock at night. For the first time in my life, I would have my first New Year's kiss. I was dressed casually, yet I looked exceptionally lovely for the occasion. Guests had arrived, and the party was off to a great start. It was a mature gathering. A large number of guests brought beverages and snacks. It appeared to be incredibly tasty.

I spotted Melanie arriving with her nice outfit she wore. She had always been stunning. She was searching for me as she entered the door. I called her name, then she went to me. She tapped me on the shoulders like we were in situationship. "Melanie, we are not friends," I said.

"I know, babe," she continued, smiling. "I want to kiss you when the clock strikes midnight." She touched me on the shoulder to give the impression that we were friends. Mom was obviously watching.

"It must be difficult for you because of the death of your late stepfather," I started the talk.

"Yeah, and no worries about that," she said. "As a result, he is an amazing father to me." "I don't even know who my biological father is."

"You don't really know your father at all?" I also included. I crossed my arms because that discourse piqued my curiosity. She needed to be more transparent about her life. I informed her about most of mine, but she didn't tell me anything about herself. I had the impression that this sort of relationship was unlikely to work. I hadn't been with her for more than a month.

"When I was born, dad abused mom, which is why their marriage failed." "Mom was granted sole custody of me and Jacob," she stated.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," I said, "but at least you don't have a toxic relationship with your biological father."

"Yeah, I have seen these pictures of him, and he is a split image of my brother," she continued.

"Oh wow," I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"About that, I wanted to tell you a little bit about Kylie," she went on. Finally! She was ready to tell me something about Kylie. "I didn't even know her last name," but she had a twin named Twin Diabla.

"What about her?" I lowered my voice.

"She passed away, and she had a twin sister," she explained.

"A twin sister?" I questioned her as if I had completely lied to her. I had to keep the discussion moving. "What's her last name?"

"It's extremely confidential but I knew her so well. I feel terrible for her," she continued. "She has been through quite a lot."

"Oh, really?" While listening to end-of-the-year music, I crossed my arms. She gave me the look that said I was behaving silly.

"You're funny. As a result, I'm still looking for Kylie Diary," she stated. "Do you happen to know who stole that diary?"

"I honestly don't know where it is." My eyes widened as I lied. She sighs as she tilts her head. She had been emotionally disoriented since Jonah's death. This time, she acted completely differently. She wasn't acting like herself. She was depressed and didn't appear to want to see me.

"Okay, because Kylie is like a sister from another mother to me," she said.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," I replied as I hugged her. She muttered something. "Do you want to eat some food?" As we let go of one other, she nodded. I was aware that Mom was keeping an eye on me. She appeared perplexed about me and Melanie. She was smiling a little because she thought I was finally getting over Amanda. That was over two months ago.

Before the clock strikes midnight in under a minute, Melanie and I were right next to each other while the rest of the guests were roaring for the countdown from television. 3...2...1..Happy New Year! Melanie and I looked at each other, so we decided to take the chance to kiss in public. She approached me, then kissed me on the lips in public for the first time. We had been sneaky and hiding our relationship. Mom and Vivian saw it, but they were too shocked to see the news between me and my girlfriend. My first New Year's kiss.

Vivian came between us, "something is going on between you both," she said with the wink.

"Mom, it was just a kiss, we're not together, together," Melanie responded.

"Don't you know that me and Dax's mom discussed how you both looked so good together because you both have a lot of chemistry," her mom said.

"We're just friends, we do it for fun, nothing more," I said.

"Man, I missed my husband, but I loved him. We need to find that bastard to murder my Jonah," Vivian added with her fist. She looked sad, but she was trying to heal and I could tell about that.

"I miss him as well; he did not deserve to leave this world so soon." This world is cruel enough," Mel said. Her mother nodded and indicated that she needed to return to talk to my mother and plan their annual women's night. They were fantastic best friends.

"Dax, Kylie's twin, named her La Diabla, and she was the worst person on earth to hurt Kylie," Melanie explained.

"The devil in Spanish?" I was curious. She nodded, but she appeared to be quite serious.

"I'm still intrigued about the Kylie Diary. I've asked several folks, and none of them have it. Kylie gave me this journal full of dark secrets regarding her life," she continued.

"I have to tell you again, I don't know where it is or if I have it at all," I told her bluntly. While I lied to her about keeping the Kylie Diary in my closet, she appeared enthralled with it. She only jerked her head without saying anything else.

"I deeply apologize for bothering you with this question," she explained.

"No, I just want to be honest with you, that's all I want us to communicate," I said as I approached her for a hug.

"Thank you for your honest thoughts and this conversation, babe," she said. Someone knocked on the door. The event itself was not very noisy. Melanie and I both heard it and walked to the front door simultaneously. I went ahead and opened it. When he spotted Melanie, it was Detective Landon. He had been examining her.

"Landon, what the hell are you doing here?" I inquired. "The music isn't too loud." With a dazzling smile, he chuckled at me. I was most concerned by his blue eyes. He was beautiful but he couldn't flirt with my girlfriend like that.

"Hey Lanie," he said, looking at her.

"Hey, you're not answering my question, and you should stop distracting yourself with this girl," I pointed out. "I know she's pretty for you and your matchmaker, but you need to tell me why you're here."

"Mister Daxton, please chill," he said, his hands in his pockets. "I'm here to give you an update on Jonah and Amanda's cases."

"What is it all about?" I said.

"They're probably the same suspect, but there's no sign of a murder," he added.

"I think you two need to be alone; I'll go get some water," Melanie said. She moved away from the talk.

"The same suspect?" I said it again. Landon jerked his head with a stern expression on his face.

"Bad news is that the suspected murderer is out of town," he stated.

"He escaped?" I also included. "So, was he a he?"

"Yeah, for now," he said. A man assassinated these two wonderful people in my life? Mom stated it was a female... Perhaps I was confusing myself. "Yeah, because he probably knew we had been digging into the case."