More Than Vengeance...

The Carbone mansion was in full swing as the sun began to sink into the horizon.

Members and associates of the mob occupied the open, lavish space in front of the house. Drinks were passed around and laughter and loud music blasted all over the place.

Johnny Towers stared in the mirror in a fine white suit with a black tie to match. He observed his reflection, ever moving the way he did.

"...Looking good," he murmured to himself as he dusted his shoulders and straightened his hair with a comb.

Eyes closed.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Eyes open.

"Looking sharp." Rosalie murmured behind him as she let her arms wrap around Johnny from behind, her black dress forming a great contrast with his suit.

Johnny smiled at the view in the mirror, saying "You too."

He spun around, taking Rosalie into his arms. Their heads came close slowly, sealing the gap with their lips in a loving kiss.

Eventually, they broke apart for air.

"Th-Thank you, Rosie...for being by the side of this idiot for as long as you have." Johnny mused.

Rosalie chuckled, replying "You're my idiot, Johnny. Always...now, come on. You don't want to miss out on all the fun, yeah?"

As she said this, Johnny let her drag him out of their bedroom, awaiting the party.

Meanwhile...

"...Jake, can I ask you something?"

In the cover of night, Jake turned to Lynn as they both sneaked into the forest outside the city on their way to the Carbone mansion's general area.

"What's wrong?" he asked back.

"I never really thought about it, but...where were you ever since the last time any of the Avengers saw you?"

"...I've been everywhere before Tampa..." he murmured. "After I got my chance to rid myself of him..."

"You mean...your...demon?" Lynn asked as she lugged a large duffel bag over her shoulder amidst their walk.

"Yeah. Someone else needed him more than I did, so I let him go and left," Jake explained, "I...I wanted to lay low, live the rest of my life, try to have what I lost again...then I lost everything a third time..."

"Third?"

Jake hummed, "Truth is...I only went after the Carbones because of what they did to me. I just wanted to live whatever semblance of a life I had after Thanos. Then,...it felt like there was no time in between when I lost Sparky and Wanda..."

"Sparky?" Lynn inquired.

"Our little puppy. Wanda and I adopted him a week before we went back to save everyone...then she died. Sparky kept me going while I tried to keep living in peace. Then,...I saw fucking Towers slam him against a wall until he died as I was forced to watch, all because he barked at him in a gas station..."

Lynn felt her eyes widen upon hearing that.

"I was still trying to grieve...right when I thought I could still keep going after losing her..."

An image formed in his mind amidst their trek into the woods, one safer from the nightmares from before the apartment fell. Instead, it hailed from a happier memory from long ago...