The Pressures Of Love

"Harry, are you coming?" called Hermione from within their living room.

He had been trying to compose himself in front of the mirror for nearly twenty minutes now. But he simply couldn't. So many different emotions were racing through his mind. On one hand, he still ached with pain from the deaths of the war and on the other hand, he had a newly found compassion for the girl he had called his best friend for seven years.

As he eventually emerged from the bathroom, Harry found Ron and Hermione standing waiting for him. Ron was dressed in a suit looking probably the smartest he's ever looked in his entire life and Hermione was fitted in a classic black dress, looking simply gorgeous.

"What took you so long?" she asked in an irritated manner, placing one hand on her hip.

"My hair..." he sighed, pointing to the black ruffled mess on the top of his head. It was a good excuse considering he had never been able to tame his hair.

"We're going to be late" Ron groaned, checking his watch and rolling his eyes.

The three of them were off for a lovely meal with the Weasleys to celebrate Hermione's return. Harry knew it would be tense, following Fred's death and that it was going to flood his mind with horrible thoughts of the war all over again. He was dreading it.

They apparated swiftly to the very posh wizard restaurant located along Diagon Alley. Harry couldn't understand how they could afford to eat in a place like this, but never said anything. They deserved to splurge a little after everything that had happened.

As expected, the entire Weasley family were already there, sat along a large wooden table waiting for them. Everyone was beaming wildly as they took their seats.

Hermione next to Mrs Weasley, Ron next to George and Harry next to Ginny.

"Hermione dear, you look amazing!" Mrs Weasley shrilled, moving her fingers over the soft curls within her new hair-do. She grinned,

"Thank you Molly, I feel amazing! That trip definitely led me on a new path"

Everyone simpered over Hermione's appearance, but none of them felt as strongly as Harry, that he was sure of.

"How have you been?" Ginny whispered gently in his right ear, causing him to turn his head to look at her. She looked very pretty. Her ginger hair in a tousled bun, her brown eyes shining.

"Really good" he replied politely, although obviously lying "How about you?"

"Better now you're here..." she grinned, lacing her arm around his, leaning against him slightly.

Harry smiled weakly at her, he would be lying if he didn't wanted the girl on his arm to be Hermione and not Ginny, but still he acted content.

Once all of their food had reached the table, the questions started heading Harry's way.

"So Harry, Ron, how is the Auror training going?" Mr Weasley asked, tucking into his meal.

Harry glanced up from his own meal and smiled, "Great, really challenging"

"Yeah, but Harry's been awesome obviously" Ron confessed, "Knew he would be."

Harry genuinely smiled for the first time in ages. Warmth spread across his body as he comprehended his friends compliment. He could always count on Ron to make him feel better. He understood Harry in a way Hermione didn't.

"Thanks mate..." he replied, expressing this happiness.

They devoured their food quickly and allowed their cutlery to clatter onto their plates. Harry leant back feeling full, realising Ginny was still attached to him.

Mrs Weasley eyed them both affectionately. Harry knew it was her dream for him and Ginny to get married one day, but the thought of this made him feel uncomfortable. He just couldn't picture it. Not when he felt so strongly about Hermione, at least.

"We better be getting home now" Hermione announced at last.

"Yeah" Ron agreed, standing up. Harry followed his action, removing Ginny's grip from his arm softly.

"Thanks so much, this was lovely" Hermione said, thanking the entire Weasley family. Ron and Harry did the same, although I think they were just glad it was over. Even though Harry adored Ron's family, he could only take so much of them.

***

When they apparated back into their flat, it was pitch black. Harry reached for the light switch and turned it on slightly, so there was a dim light.

"I'm going to bed" Ron yawned, shuffling towards his bedroom, whilst leaving Hermione and Harry alone in the living room. Harry knew he could have a chance in telling Hermione about how he felt, she was the only one who would understand. Or at least he hoped.

"Want some wine?" he asked politely, going to the kitchen cupboard and taking out a bottle.

"Alright" Hermione shrugged, flopping down on the sofa.

Once Harry had poured two glasses of luxury white wine, he lowered himself down on the sofa next to her, handing her a glass.

"Hmmm..." she breathed, taking a sip "That's wonderful."

They sat in an uncomfortable silence for a moment, slowly taking sips of their wine until Harry decided to speak up. He had to brave and tell her how he felt, it was now or never.

"H-Hermione" he mumbled awkwardly, but that was as far as he got. The words seemed to fail him.

He swirled the wine around in his glass, trying to think of exactly what to say to her. He couldn't just blurt out his feelings to her just like that, he didn't know if he could.

"Yes Harry?" she answered, staring directly at him with dark brown eyes.

Harry moved his eyes towards her and felt his heart melt. She was so beautiful, he couldn't handle it. He wanted to hold her so much it hurt. His mind was so conflicted.

"Nothing..." he whispered, shaking his head "I'm... err... going to go to bed."

He gulped down the last of his wine and stood up carefully, giving Hermione one last look before retiring to his room, leaving her all alone. He wasn't brave at all. Where was all of his Gryffindor courage when he needed it?