Nineteen

__________
{y/n}

And just like that, those 2 days went quick. Simon and the rest of the 141 had been on a secret mission whilst Caleb and I enjoyed winding down on base. Their convoy arrived back on base, it was the morning of our departure, the chopper was arriving any minute and I had to talk to Simon before I left. I needed to get things off my chest about our little moment we shared 2 nights ago. As I rounded the corner of the hallway, I halted outside his office door.

'Lieutenant Ghost'

Read the door label and my heart immediately began to race. I gave a few soft knocks before I could hear his heavy thudded footsteps making their way closer. He opens the door, his entire figure taking up most of the space— length and width. I craned my head up like always to meet his gaze. He returned my stare with a lazy hooded look, almost as if he were tired from whatever hell he was put through these last 2 days. I was lost in his appearance. That tactical get-up he was currently in made me want to through whatever spiel I had planned and kiss him even harder than before but with the chopper arriving soon, I realized it was now or never.

"We need to talk."

In the quietness, he seemed agitated by my request. He wasn't very emotional these days, not after all he's seen. But I guess the bluntness in those few words told him that whatever came next might not sit well with him.

"...'bout what exactly?" He asks, raising an eyebrow and tilting his head to the right as he spoke, before giving me a blank, neutral, and slightly condescending stare.

"About that night."

In a quiet, raspy voice, he responds. " Yeah. C'mon in." His hands went to his face, his gloved fingertips trailing from the top of his head then down over his mouth, letting out a lengthy sigh as he did. I could tell by that sight alone, he was exhausted... and not the 'staying up working on a puzzle' kind, nor the 'up all night doing overtime' kind, but the kind that makes his eyes sink further and further into his sockets, only the bags under his eyes indicating how little he slept these days. I followed Simon into his office. It was quiet messier than what I remembered. Mountains of papers were splayed out all over his desk. Bottles of water both full and empty sat upon the various counter tops and a blanket thrown over his couch. I figured he must have been sleeping in here.

He takes a seat in his chair, resting his elbows on his knees. "So, what's on your mind." He says calmly and plainly as he continues to give me that cold, calm, and neutral expression, his face still showing no emotion or expression or any hint of anything that may truly be going on behind that cold and blank façade.

"I was thinking about—"

A long sigh leaves his masked lips, rolling his eyes. "Go on. You've got thirty seconds because I've got things to do."

I was taken back by his bluntness. He clearly hasn't been getting much sleep at all...

"I wanted to talk about that kiss."

"What about it?" He cocks his head to the side.

"It shouldn't have happened..." I sigh.

"If I remember correctly, it was mutual." He says in a calm manner, as if not bothered.

"It was, I just can't let myself lose focus. I'm here to work and so are you."

He chuckles, his eyes creasing under the dark-framed balaclava he would always wear. It was as if all those worries or negative thoughts suddenly faded away. "You work, and I'll play, then." He jokes, trying to get a reaction out of me, he crosses his arms, while his eyes creased even more, as if amused at his own comment.