Twenty One

__________
{Simon}

My thoughts were clouded— scattered with rage. Every fiber of my being was vibrating with fury, coursing through my veins. I searched for a way to contain myself before it was too late.

"How long..."

"We're not exac—"

"How long Price..." My hands were gripping the edge of the table so tight I could feel the wood splintering under my grasp.

A deep sigh emits from him as his head hangs low. "We believe they've had them for at least eight days."

"Eight days..." A low growl emits from my chest as I push myself off the table. "Eight fucking days and we had no clue until now."

"Simon..." He sighs.

"How the fuck did they hide this for eight days?" I repeat with more anger and annoyance. "How long until we start wondering if they've been hurt? Killed? How long until we think, 'well, it's too late now' huh?"

"I get that your frustrated, Simon. And I understand your anger. Believe me, I'm mad too. I'm as mad as you are. But we need to remain calm."

There was no way I would ever let myself lash out at Price. Not now. Not after all that had happened. And I knew that, deep down, my anger wasn't even directed at him. He was just the outlet for my rage and he knew that, he understood me well. And I knew, if I truly wanted to find them— her, I would need to keep my head clear, though my anger and frustration were not subsiding anytime soon. This was on us. How did we not notice any sooner? The fact she's been holed up somewhere was eating me alive. I needed an outlet, I wanted to punch something or someone, to let all of my rage out. I was going out of my mind, and it was only getting worse. I couldn't see how it could get any better either. Price sent for Gaz and Soap to join as we began to plan their rescue. He briefed us all on exactly what we knew so far. The morning they left by chopper, they had landed at an airstrip approximately 30 klicks from outside of the main city, the city where they were to be airlifted directly back home. Upon landing the chopper, they were to journey to the city by bus. That was when everything went to shit. Their bus was hijacked by a group of AQ soldiers. All passenger passports and IDs were checked, being foreigners, they were the only two who were taken back to their secret hideout. The witnesses on board were paid to keep their mouths shut. If it wasn't for one of the passengers raising the alarm, we would never have known. Though by the time they alerted local authorities, they were long gone. A cold trail, and it took this long to relay this information over to us. Eight fucking days...

Gaz and Soap were just as distraught as Price and I. It just goes to show how much these two have grown on us all, we considered them both apart of this team.

"We have operators working on this as we speak, tracing their last moves and pinpointing key locations. As of now, we have nothing to go off apart from this." He says as he opens the laptop, pressing play on the video. "This here was found floating around on the dark web. It was uploaded one hour ago."

He pressed play, and the screen lit up. A small room with no windows could be seen, it was dark, like a basement. A single flickering bulb illuminated the small room. There they were. Blindfolded and bounded tightly with thick rope to a chair that sat in the centre of the room. Between them stood one soldier. In the back of the room stood two more soldiers in each corner, their faces also covered. Her bottom lip was quivering as the interrogator pressed the cold barrel against her temple. My blood turned cold, my body temperature dropping at the sight of it. At the same time, Caleb could also be heard whispering to her, assuring her that everything was going to be okay. That she was going to be okay. His fingers were desperately trying to reach for hers as she softly sobbed with her head hung low. The soldier began to spit demands and ransoms of all sorts to 'guarantee' their safe return, and if we did not meet their demands, they were to be executed.