Chapter 1

Fay's POV

When I read my journal after I've written my wish, I recall most of the mishaps that has happened in my life.

Flashback

When I was five years old, I was taken preschool. I was scared stiff but my dad won't have it if I miss my first day of school. This was the first time I'll see people other than my dad and be in another place other than home. My lip was trembling and I bit it to prevent me from bawling. I held my dad's hand, squeezing it tightly as he took me towards the gate where a pretty short lady was waiting for us. She had worn a cream skirt suit and black short heels.

" Hello. May I be of assistance?" The lady asked in a strange accent.

"Yes, please. My name is Mr. Fitzbyl, I'm Fay's father." He pointed his head towards me and I found myself hiding behind him. He explains to the lady that he had registered me to this school and was hoping someone to help him take me there. All of a sudden, a phone rang and my dad picked his phone and excused himself, leaving me with the lady. The lady looked at me and smiled, showing her perfect set of teeth.

"Hello Fay, my name is Miss Perfy, I'm going to help you get along with this life ..."

The lady stopped talking when my dad appeared. My dad looked restless and asked her to help him to take me to school because something had come up in work. When she accepted, my dad thanked me then saluted me goodbye as he hurriedly went to his car.

I wanted to run to my dad and tell him I want to go with him but I didn't. I was so afraid and started fiddling with my dress. It was a new, faded blue dress with frills. Tears started flowing from my chubby cheeks and I felt a warm hand hold my cheek. I looked up and so the lady smiling down at me. I felt a sense of calmness over me and heard her soothing me that everything was going to be okay as I was led to school.

Since that day I have never seen her...

Flashback over

I heard someone scream and I was startled off from my reverie. My young brother popped out from the door,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!"

"Oh...Thank you Trevor."

I went towards the door and picked my seven year old step-brother and gave him a big hug. He squirmed and I let him go.

"Ewww....cooties!!"He claimed as he shook his dark brown hair away from his face. He looked at me with disgust but his deep blue eyes showed humor.

"Humph! I don't have cooties."I pouted.

"Yes you do..."

"No I don't"

We continued with this banter until my step-mom appeared.

"Stop it you two! Trevor I'm dissappointed. I told you to call sister so that we can celebrate her birthday but you start arguing.

"Mom, I meant to call her but she started hugging me giving me her cooties."

I rolled my eyes but I smiled. I love my brother even though he sometimes drives me crazy.Mom shook her head and told Trevor to head down. She turned to me as Trevor left us alone.

"Happy birthday Fay. I wanted to surprise you with a birthday cake for dessert but it seems its burnt."

"It's ok mom but thanks. Is dad home?"

"He couldn't make it, there was a bit of accident ....but he's ok-as she notices my panicked look-...he's had to stay at the office to help out. I'm sorry Fay."

"It's ok...let's go down to have my birthday dinner."I shrug and smile as we go down. My dad has always been busy and it hurts every time he's not home spending time with us but I couldn't really blame him. He works so hard so we can have a living. I also help by working as a waitress in a nearby hotel on weekends and the library on the weekdays.

We have dinner without my dad and I open presents from my step-mom and my brother. They are quite nice, a pink necklace from my step-mom and a card written happy birthday from Trevor. I thank them and go to my room.

As I enter my room, I find a pink box with red ribbons tied around it. The window is open and I run towards it and look outside but there's no sign of anyone. I shut the window and look at the box. I can't really say I'm scared because this is the second time I've been given my present by a mysterious stranger. It happened last year during my birthday but no note was left.

I open the box and find a piece of a silver on it. A heart is drawn on it. I open the drawer where I kept last year's present, a silver piece like the current one but written 'I'. As I hold them together they attract each other and form a half a heart. I'm surprised. Whoever gave me these presents seems to be a secret admirer and I'm thrilled.

I lay down on the bed holding the silver heart onto my heart and smile as I fall asleep. Seems my wish is starting to come true.