Chapter 4

After being picked up by Chelsea's brother, Chad, I was dropped at the small library for my shift. Today I would be working at the front desk. I went to the front desk and removed my history book and began reading for the test that was coming on Friday. I knew it would take time before people came in. Having worked here for almost a year, I almost knew the pattern by now.

But unfortunately, I was having a hard time concentrating. Images of blue-green eyes-which I felt were becoming bluer by the minute- staring at me through the front mirror were haunting my mind. It felt weird because the same pair were also on his sister but they didn't affect me like his.

I don't know how long I was in that daze before I felt a hand on my arm. My first reaction was that I held her hand and removed it before thinking of doing any drastic damage. I didn't like people touching me since what happened to me years before. I even started learning defense techniques and I was pretty good at it. But before anything, I heard,

" Um..sorry for startling you but I came to return a book."

The voice sounded so angelic and when I looked at the saw, my jaw dropped.  She looked as angelic as her voice. She had long brown wavy hair, brown eyes with gold rims and freckles at her cheeks and her full pink lips formed a smile and I blushed as I realized I was gawping at the stranger. She looked a bit older than me so I assumed she was a college student.

"Um..sorry for that. Help me with your library card and the book so I can sort out the formalities and you'll be good to go."

"Oookkk."

She gave me her card and the book. It was a volume of a book that was about poetry. It seems she has a thing for poems. I wasn't being judgmental about it. I liked poems but not to the point of reading a big book. I returned the card to her but instead of taking it she looked at me quizzically. I felt self conscious and held my face to feel if there was a pimple on my face. Suddenly she laughed and it sounded like a beautiful song. Instead of being annoyed that she was laughing at my expense, I was awed and embarrassed at the same time.

When she stopped laughing, she apologized.

" It seems that we've started in a somehow wrong foot. Maybe we should introduce ourselves at least. Mmm...Hi, my name is Grace." She extended her hand in greeting and I complied.

" Hi, my name is Fay."

" I know." Oookk this was becoming awkward pretty fast. How did she know my name? Is she stalking me or something? Only few knew me because I've been trying to be invisible my whole life. As if she heard my thoughts she continued.

" I know because I've heard so much about you by Miss Roxanne. We are close friends and she really likes how you help her here."

I relaxed. Miss Roxanne headed the library and we became good friends. She was a sweet old African-American lady who liked tending the library as well as bake so when she was around she brought cookies and muffins. Lately, I hadn't seen her and I was becoming worried.

" She has been sickly and told me to check on the library and you."

"Oh!"

We were both quiet for a while until I started fumbling with the pages of the History book while pretending I was reading . I think ten minutes had passed and I raised my head but didn't see her. I felt relieved and strangely disappointed that she left. Closing the book and shoving it in my bag, I rose up from the chair and decided to walk along the shelves as I waited for my shift to end. I knew that there was no point in trying to read when I was distracted. I headed straight to the novel section and looked at the titles of the books displayed. If a title intrigued me I'd look at the beginning and end of the story. As I was doing this, I felt like I was being watched. I instinctively looked behind and I didn't see anyone. I shrugged my shoulders as I continued to look at the books. I still felt like I was being watched and my neck hairs started rising as I felt someone behind me.

I turned and almost screamed but when I saw Grace, I held my chest. My legs felt wobbly, so I sat down, leaning on the bookshelf. I moved my knees closer and rested my head there.' I think I should stop watching horror movies' I told myself. I felt Grace kneeling next to me and she held my face with her palm. So soft. I nudged deeper in her palm and she raised my  face until my eyes were fixated on hers. I saw sadness in them.

"I see that you are always suffering. Loss has affected your life dearly. And yet it seems that Life and Death will cross paths again in your life very soon. I wish I could do something but this your tale and I'm not part of it..."

She released my face and stood then straightened her coral top and started moving towards the library door. As if in a trance, I gazed at her, barely moving. When she opened both sides of the door, sun rays hit her body giving it a halo effect. As she disappeared from the door, I heard in  my mind,

' See you soon Fay.'