33

LANDO 

I was more nervous than I thought walking into that room for the second time. 

Watching her face light up when she sees me and then turning into a nervous blush and darting her head away has me feeling a mixture of emotions. 

"Hey Evelyn, how are you feeling?" I ask, trying my best to keep a light and casual tone with her. 

I take a seat in the chair next to her bed and it takes everything in me not to reach for her hand. 

"I'm okay, thank you. Some discomfort, but that's to be expected" she replies shyly. 

"You definitely went through some stuff" I acknowledge. 

"The doctor said its a miracle that I'm even here. Apparently the driver wasn't so lucky" she looks genuinely saddened by the news. 

"It was a huge accident, Ev. But you're going to be okay" 

She nods her head but doesn't say anything. Her gaze keeps shifting from her lap and then darting up to me before quickly looking back down. 

"What's on your mind, Verstappen?" I try and adjust the mood, keeping Gabriels advice in my mind. 

She chuckles shy again, and I never noticed the way she covers her mouth when she laughs when she feels embarrassed. The way the creases at the corners of her eyes are always there, yet tighten when she smiles tight lipped. "I'm just, confused, I guess" 

I nod my head, "Yeah, Max was just saying a few of your memories are a little hazy" I feel like I'm tip toeing into dangerous territory here. 

"A little, it's weird though, you know, like I feel like they are in there, but I just can't see them in colour yet" she explains, and I think it's beautiful. 

"Well, let me know if I can be of any help" I suggest. 

Her lips part in shock, but she hides it well, "Why?" she whispers. 

"What do you mean why?" I chuckle. 

"Why do you care?" she shrugs, "I mean, we haven't like, had anything to do with each other, unless.." she hesitates, "Did something change?" 

I find myself nodding before I can tell myself no. But the look of relief on the face pushes me to continue, "Things changed, we talk" I try and play it casual, maybe giving her a safe space to open up. 

"Oh, well, that's good" she stutters. 

"What's the last thing you remember, clearly?" I ask, genuinely curious. 

She thinks hard, before letting out a defeated shrug. "I'm not entirely sure" 

Oh damn, I need to bail out of this one, "It'll all make sense soon, being in these four walls surely doesn't help" I play off. 

"They are talking about moving me back to England to recover" Evelyn informs me. 

"Oh really?" I beam, "That'd be nice. Charlotte would be able to come visit then too" and I face palm myself instantly. 

"Charlotte?" she asks. 

"Oh," how am I going to fix this? "You met a new friend not too long ago, from what you told me, she lives in London" 

"Oh" she nods her head, but I can see the confusion taking over her, just adding one more thing to her list. 

"I'm sorry, Ev" I mumble. 

"No, that's okay" she states. 

"Can I get you anything? Do you need a drink or anything to eat?" I offer. 

"No, I think I'm okay. I'm actually a little tired, go figure. I've just slept for two weeks and now I'm exhausted" she chuckles, the creases in her eyes tightening. 

"Yeah, of course, would you like your bed down?" I suggest. 

"Yes, thankyou" 

I stand up and walk toward the side of her bed, reaching over her head for the remote, locating the correct button and clicking it slowly, watching as the bed head lowers down to a flatter position. 

"Let me know when?" I inform. 

"Here's good" I stop immediately and place the remote back on the wall, having to lean over her body to do it. My shirt hem much have some up because I feel her breath hitch on my lower stomach. 

Looking down, I can see her looking up at me, feeling like she's in an awkward position. Her lips are slightly parted and it takes everything in me not to bend down and kiss her. But I know I can't. 

"I'll come see you again soon, if that's okay?" I ask. 

"I'd really like that" she flutters. 

When I head out of the room, Max has returned and is seated with the others, discussing something quite intensely. 

"How is she?" they all ask as I return.

"She's having a sleep. But she's okay" I let them know. 

Walking over to the wall, I lean by back up against it before sliding all the way down to the floor, my back hitting heavy against the wall on impact. 

"You alright?" Max asks, settling himself down beside me. 

"She doesn't remember dating me" I sigh. 

"Yeah, I know, Johan and Charles were just saying. That's rough man. I'm sure it's not permanent you know, Ev, she's a fighter. Now that she knows pieces are missing she's going to do everything she can to remember" 

I nod my head, "I really fucked it up the first time, what if she remembers and then decides she doesn't want me anymore?" 

He lets out a staggered breath, "You and I probably can both agree that she deserves better than you." His tone has a slight chuckle to it, "But we both know how much she loves you. No relationship is perfect man, and you two have probably had a more rough start than most couples, but look at the world we live in. We didn't exactly chose the easiest careers to nurture a relationship" 

"I really do love her, you know that right?" the heart to heart makes me feel sick, Max is my rival at the end of the day and I don't want him knowing my weaknesses. But I decide that when our weaknesses align, it should be safe. 

"I do" he nods, before tapping on my knee and standing up, taking a phone call. 

When he returns, he informs us that they have a room for her in London at their family cottage, an on call doctor willing to move in for the first 3 months to help Evelyn transition. 

"That'll be so much better for her, in a place she knows" Johan acknowledges. 

"First three months?" I ask, repeating his phrase. 

"Doctor Murphy seems to think her recovery could take up to 12 months to get her back to 100%" once he sees my relieved expression he adds, "For her physical injuries, there is no timetable for what happens in her brain" 

"When would they move her?" Charles asks. 

"Another week." 

"Do you boys have to head back to the paddock?" Johan asks the question we all have on our minds. 

Max shrugs, Charles shakes his head. I stay quiet. 

"We're under contract, we need to go back eventually" Max informs. 

"I can't go back, not until I know she's okay" Charles declares. 

"She is okay, Charles, she's awake" Max beams, "Look, I get it, I would much rather be here with Evelyn as well. The fact that my mother has not bothered to show up these past two weeks and I'm the one initiating updates sickens me, but she's awake now, and she has to take the time to recover. I know her, and she would hate it if we all just sat here whilst she did" 

He's right. Evelyn would want us back out on the track tomorrow if we could. But I also understand where Charles is coming from. 

"We'll figure it out. I'll talk to Zak and see what I can arrange, might be wise for you boys to do the same"